1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naughty Bantam rooster !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by outdoorfunblond, Nov 14, 2016.

1. outdoorfunblond

outdoorfunblond Just Hatched

May 7, 2015
    South Texas
    I have a cute young Bantam rooster that has recently picked up a bad habit. [​IMG]
    He doesn't normally pick on or get rough with the hens, but lately he's been mean to one particular hen.
    After keeping an eye on him and her, I decided to put him in a large solitary confinement if you will....
    He continually chases the hen and she just sits down and takes the picking on after she's tired of running all day.
    The rooster makes all kinds of fierce, LOUD aggitating noises at her when she ignores him.
    He occasionally grabs her at the back of the neck and almost throws her around !
    [​IMG] I REALLY don't like THAT !
    He has recently added the bad issue of picking at her comb. Not really bad yet, but am sure that would be next to follow.
    Should I keep him in solitary confinement ? Many animals have personalities, some being smart.
    I don't know a lot about the mentality of Bantam roosters, except for the fact I have another one who is a super sweetheart
    and loves personal attention from me. LOL
    SILLY QUESTION (I'm going to ask it anyway, it's ok to laugh)
    What are the chances that Rodney (naughty rooster) understands WHY he's by himself ? LOL
    Do you think this behavior will stop ?
    And, should I keep him in solitary confinement or just get rid of him if he starts it up again ?
    Rodney has been separated for 2 days now. I want to give him another chance...

His separation pen is huge and has everything he needs, just not close companionship of the flock...
    PLEASE, what are your thoughts ? Thanks in advance !

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're rough and so non-romantic when they're young. They are young banty roosters with hormones flowing.

3. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    No, he doesn't understand why. They are not human, and so, don't think like humans. I am sure that, in his mind (pea sized), he's doing the right thing.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe keep him separated for a few months, until his hormones calm down and his manners improve.

5. MsChickenHerder

MsChickenHerder Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Northwest Ohio
    one of our bantam roos, likes to punk my daughter when she's out in their enclosure. And he is rough with our full sized hens when he's giving them "lovin". He Is our problem child.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Sounds as though he needs some re-conditioning, at best, or being shown the stockpot.

7. MsChickenHerder

MsChickenHerder Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    Northwest Ohio
    We have a strict rule here at this house. You peck or punk... you get picked up. Any chicken that pecks us is picked up and carried around for no less than 5 minutes. That has seemed to cure the issue, as to who's the boss when it comes to everyone, but that one little stinker. She is the only one he ever attempts to punk.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many males and females......and how old are they?

How much coop and run space do you have...in feet by feet?

Why do you need multiple males?
    This creates a competitive situation and all males may be more aggressive because of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by