Naughty Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jen3910, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jen3910

jen3910 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    NW Chicago Suburbs
    My chicks finally came in today. [​IMG] 3 EE's, and 2 barred rock. One of the barred rocks is going around and pecking the other chicks in the face/eye. What a stinker! She is the only one causing problems at this point. Should I separate her, or just let them work it out? She just goes chick to chick and pecks them all.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Jen

2. jen3910

Mar 14, 2012
    NW Chicago Suburbs
    I sectioned of a corner of the brooder for Buckbeak. She is annoyed that she is by herself but she can still see the others, and during supervised play she is with the rest. Hopefully she will stop in time.

3. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I think you've identified your 'lead hen'. :) Is it aggressive / hunt them down and beat them pecking or just pecking them as they go by / get close? Could be pecking order stuff that'll sort itself out. Fun, aren't they? :)

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I did the same as jen3910. We had a fresh one, an EE we started calling Timeout. We sectioned off a corner of the brooder using a screen so she could still see them and let her out for short supervised play time. This started from day one because she was attacking faces like latching on and pecking eyes. It took aboujt 4 days of seperation and another day of me watching her and blocking her couple of attempts to strike faces. Now she is 3 1/2 weeks and she is calm and sweet. Good luck with your fresh baby.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. jen3910

Mar 14, 2012
    NW Chicago Suburbs
    Our little Buckbeak is behaving better. Now she is just getting close to the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by