naughty chicken quarantine, complete isolation ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    I have one chicken that is being mean to the new chickens and they've all been together for 3 weeks. this one chicken is a problem. I separated her, but she can still see them and stuff. she is in the old run and they're in the new run. the new run is completely around the old one. Now, will she never get it through her head to be nice because she can still see them through the fence? do I need to really separate her like, in my basement for a week type deal? because after nearly 3 weeks of her being in there, she's still going after them like a man woman the other day when I went in there and she snuck out.

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Yes, I would put her out of sight. She is still able to influence the flock if they can see her. If you remove her from sight they think she's "gone" and new order is established. Then reintroduce her. Sometimes this just doesn't work (flock dynamics).

I may have to try it next week when I put my youngsters in the main coop....

3. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    alright.. I suppose :) hehehe. I just don't feel like it, but it will be better off in the long run instead of having this crazy setup forever where I can't get her eggs. right??

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I know, it's a pain in the pants! But, after it's over, you'll be glad everyone is on the same routine.

One of my hens, an Ameraucana, is brutal - when she gives the "stink eye" - she means it!

5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    LOL! so funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: