Naughty chickens...help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allee79, Jun 7, 2016.

1. allee79

allee79 New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Hi, we are New to this. We have three chickens, not sure what breed. We have two that are broody and do not leave the box and just sit on fake eggs. The other seems to be loosing feathers and spends all day from very early making loud noises...Sorry neighbours...they have food water and other stuff to eat. Before this they were all laying lovely but now seem miserable. What are we doing wrong

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] If you're not going to let the broody hen hatch eggs it would be kinder to break her broodiness. Due to the inactivity and little food intake a broody hen loses a lot of weight during a broody spell. The most effective breaking method I know off is putting the hen in a wire bottomed cage with nothing but food and water, no nesting materials. After a few days in there she should be over it.

The one losing feathers, unless she is molting, could have a lice/mite infestation. Have you dusted them for mites at any point? Here are some articles with more information:

Information on Molting Chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Best of luck!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sumi has given you good advice. Is the one making all the noise - maybe a stealth cockerel or maybe just a bird molting?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! You have some great advice so I will wish you the very best of luck. Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by