Naughty Chickens

SDChIcK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
My chickens are out of control! They will go wacko if I enter the room. And if I would like to pick one up it take about ten minutes to catch it. How can I get my chickens to be more calm around people?

Some breeds are just naturally "out of control." Try your best to catch them, and then hold them and pet them for long periods of time and they'll start to get it.

Hope this helps,

Haley

Some breeds are definitely more high strung/wild than other breeds. Are the breeds you have known to be docile and calm?? If so, then it'll just take time. Sit with them for as long as possible several times a day. Don't try to hold them or grab them, just sit there calmly and talk to them. After a few days of doing this, have treats with you - raisins, blueberries, grapes, something really yummy. Sit there calmly, and slowly hold out treats until someone eventually takes them from you (once one does it, others will probably follow). Several days later, only offer the treats from your lap - see if anyone will hop onto to your lap to take the treat from your hand. Eventually, you can slowly try to pet someone.... Not every bird is a lap bird, but I think most people at least end up with a few...

Back
Top Bottom