naughty cockerel - can I put him in his place?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hannahshatchery, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hannahshatchery

hannahshatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    We have a 17 month old daughter and a small free-ranging flock that includes two cockerels. One is a strange little bird, and is bottom of the pecking order, no concerns about that one. The other is everything you would expect when you hear the word rooster.

Today we were by the coop and he jumped at my daughter's back. He didn't scratch or peck her but the behavior is concerning, especially after reading some posts on here tonight. I was right there when it happened and gave him a swift kick in the chest and he scampered off. I like having a rooster to protect my girls, they free range over a large area and there are lots of predators around. We do not allow our daughter out of our sight outside, we have three dogs and horses too I don't want her on her own with. I am well aware of the precarious relationships between animals and kids, so I don't trust either.

My question is - is there anything I can do to quash this behavior while he is still young or is this going to be a hopeless situation? We are new (pet) chicken owners and we won't be eating him, but if it's not going to work I'd rather find him a new home now before we get even more attached to him. He is about 15 weeks now.

Thanks for the advice!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you didnt mention what kind of roo, some are more prone than others for such behavior but to protect your hens its a trade off with a more gentle roo. the little one is just low on the pecking order so if u rehome the frisky one the other may be just as bad, depending on type and personality. i hope some one can advise on nipping it in the bud

3. hannahshatchery

hannahshatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    he's a dark brown leghorn...

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have heard their not very polite birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by