Naughty ducks ANY suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Charmer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Chicken Charmer

Chicken Charmer New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi there, Bit of a long story here, This spring raised 2 ducks (2 muscovys) with my 5 brown leghorns got the chicks at the same time as the ducklings, Everyone has been happy, there had been a couple quarrels between the ducks and my one silkie hen but nothing too serious, All summer my ducks and our puppy played together teasing each other, the ducks would nibble on his tail and they would goof around together. anyways last few months the dog has been kicked out of the chicken yard because he goes and eats all the food and gets upset stomachs but a couple weeks ago he got in, I think he wanted to go visit his little duck friends, anyways he is MUCH bigger now close to 100 pounds ended up hurting the ducks, pawing at them, packing them around in his mouth! The ducks were very badly wounded I didn't think they would make it. I brought them inside in the basement and nursed them back to health. Now they are ready to go back outside I have to slowly re-climate them to our cold winter, I am in British Columbia, Canada and its Very cold right now! Anyways here is my dilemma... went to go take the ducks out the other day for some sunshine and fresh air, to spend some time getting used of the cold, they headed straight for the chicken coop and there was a GREAT BIG FIGHT! The ducks were grabbing the chickens tail feathers and honking at them and the rooster was all upset trying to defend his hens, he is fighting back there are feathers everywhere NOW WHAT DO I do? How do I re introduce the ducks to the chickens? The ducks unfortunately cant stay in my basement forever! P.S( we have also been working with our big dog so he will not hurt the ducks again, He wasn't attacking them aggressively he was just trying to play, he is just much larger than he was the last time they played)
    Any suggestions on how to get the ducks to live happily with the chickens again?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That may not be an option, long term, but whether they eventually work out a peaceable arrangement, introductions need to be in baby steps.

Temporary dividing fence between them at first so they can get used to seeing each other.

Feeding treats at the same time.

After you are sure they are pretty calm seeing each other, let them in the yard together under close supervision.

Once they can handle that, try letting them in the shelter together supervised for a little bit, see if close quarters is okay.

If your ducks are drakes, they ought not be with the chickens - if they try to mate, it could be fatal.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Charmer

Chicken Charmer New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Well, today as I was writing up this question here, I had put my ducks out in the garden so they are enclosed in the garden and the chickens are on the other side of the fence to the coop, they made a heck of a lot of noise going in stretching out there necks up to the fence I am sure, calling on the chickens, anyway I came inside to write this up, came out to bring them In and found out they have squeezed under the fence In one place and are hanging out in the coop. They are females, they both lay eggs, Everyone seems O.K.... at the moment, maybe they just needed some privacy to work out their issues... who knows what happens in a birds brain... will keep posted on what happens

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the update! How is it today?

5. Chicken Charmer

Chicken Charmer New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Everyone is happily living together. Very relieved. I was worried I would have to build a new pen. It's funny how animals work things out if you give them time.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by