Naughty ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oddyse, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Hey guys, I have my ducks in a big run all the time, then at night I like to shut them away in their house. But last night I thought I would treat them and let them stay out a little later. It was dark when I tried to get them in and they were having none of it! They usually run to their house when I call them and go to bed really easily, but not last night! Was it because it was dark? Just recently they started going crazy and running around like mad! I put a watering can in the water to empty some out because of the recent rain and they actually went crazy! So because I couldnt get them in last night I had to leave them out over night, luckily they were fine, and first thing this morning I called them up to there house and they came up first time! I dont understand whats going on! If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great! Many thanks guys

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ducks are like toddlers, give them an inch and they'll try to get a mile LOL
    They were enjoying not being in their house and taking advantage of it. As for going crazy, not sure...ducks see fairly well in the dark but can also easily spook when it's dark. Did you have a flashlight with you? My ducks hate the flashlight.

Michelle

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That's funny, my ducks hate the flashlight, too. i found that i needed to get my ducks in at a certain time. If it got too dark, it was harder to put them in. So i put a battery-operated tap light on the top rafter inside their coop. i turn it on at dusk then go about putting the chickens to bed. So when i come back around, it's lighter in the coop than outside, and most of the ducks, if not all, go in on their own.

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Oh that's too funny!! [​IMG]

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Colleen, that's an excellent idea using a tap light. I'm going to pick a few up for my hen house and duck houses next time I'm in town.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by