1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naughty kids

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 24, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hubby and I are in a dilemma. He said he thinks she should not have ANY Christmas presents because she has been BAD all week. Then when dd and I go to my folks for Christmas party, he will put her presents under the tree, ready for her when she comes home from the party.

As for me, I do not like this idea at all even I know she has been bad. She was just diagnosed with ADD, will start on her meds on Sunday at the doctor's recommendation....she was a 9 on the Cooper's test scale. [​IMG] I do not like her getting up, seeing NO presents under the tree, I would still give her presents and enjoy the fun like I have when I was growing up. Even she was bad.

And how would it affect her if my relatives asked her what she got for Christmas.....nothing and they would look at me like I was crazy which it was NOT my idea at all. If hubby insist no presents, then I will give her MY presents to her and let her be happy whatever Santa and I gave her. I am not wanting to deprive her of the wonders of Christmas, despite how bad she is. I don't think she really believes Santa 100% and she knows there is a "fake" person under the costume, just as much as our Lincoln impersonater.

Should I go ahead and give her the gifts, letting her know the real meaning of Christmas with a possibility of questioning Santa? She is six years old.

do you give presents to your "bad" kids anyway? or how would you rationalized presents associating with goodness and badness?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I think you should give her the presents. Unless your definition of "bad" is going around killing people, animals, etc. It is just wrong to deprive a kid of presents on Christmas.

Happy holidays!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I think it is called a Cooper's test, a test that parents (me only) and her teachers have to fill out. We would need to go to a psychologist for her, as well as us, interviewing. I have NO idea what to be expected of.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:The defination of BAD would be not doing what being told to do, or being asked to do like doing some chores such as cleaning up her bedroom, listen carefully in what needed to be done, staying out of the kitchen, talking back at us or anyone else, bullying kids, etc.

She does not do killings but she does have that curiousity about people in movies being killed which I told hubby to change the channels to something else. Shows like Star Trek, cop shows, etc. Star Wars does not bother her but she does practice the karate moves just like the one kid in class takes karate class...he has been teaching her the moves. [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I would not with hold christmas from her because she was bad a week thats not gona help with ADD.

I am a mother With ADD with 2 kids out of 4 born with the same thing.

She needs to find a way to focus and learn self control and that means you have to find something that she is very intrested in and you mentioned Karate, well there ya go, get her inrolled in a class and see how it goes, if it works out you have a key to help her to learn self control and how to focus which she will be able to apply in other areas in life.

I promise you if you can find something she is totally intrested in you will see a vast improvement in her.

Merry christmas to you and your family.

6. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I know your pediatrician has recomended the meds but please get her into a Neurologist for testing. That way you truely know what you are dealing with. Their tests are much more indepth and more acurate.

I would still give them to her. My severly ADHD 7yr dd is getting a smaller gift from santa. Santa will be leaving her a card telling her she needs to do better about listening and doing chores next year. If not she will get even less. This year santa is leaving playdo instead of the doll house she wanted.

Christmas is about giving gifts to those you love. Like Christ did for us. Not punishment.

Trust me I had to think that last through quite a bit recently. I was sooooo ready to not give her the gifts. [​IMG] I know what you are going through with your dd and dh. My dh is of the oldschool where kids are to be seen and not heard. Yeah right with a dd that has ADHD. May as well be asking for Bill gates to hand over his company.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    In theory the gifts from you and your husband are not because she has been good. They are because you love her and want to give her joy. Santa is a different argument ("He knows if you've been bad or good", etc, etc). I think I'd still let Santa bring her toys, but maybe include a note about trying better next year. Having nothing waiting for her under the tree on Christmas morning would be pretty scaring I'm thinking. Is that the memory you want her to have?

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    You could do what one of my friends did last year. Her kids were especially bad on Christmas eve, so on Christmas day they woke up to 3 presents each and a letter from Santa saying that Mom and Dad had the rest of their gifts and they had to earn them back by being good, listening and helping. She said that they played more with the 3 things they got first, than anything else that day or since.

Good luck.

9. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:That is a really good idea! I'm going to do that when I get old enough to have kids!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Has each and everyone one of you totally forgotten that ALL children misbehave before Christmas, and especially bad on Christmas Eve????? It's the golden rule of childhood.

Give the kid her gifts. Take them away next week if it continues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by