naughty mom...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jreynolds24, Dec 1, 2014.

1. jreynolds24

jreynolds24 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    We had our first hen go broody, we tried for two weeks to break her (seeing as it will be snowing soon) but we were gone for 4days and just let her go... so now we are on day 20ish and one seemed like it pipped and she (or possibly another hen) pecked at it so there are a bunch of pecks and one large hole :( I made her her own area alone (I had planned to do that earlier but just got busy) what are the chances this babe will makeit? Soo sad :( and should I be worried about her pecking the others as they pip?

On another note we had some new layers so she decided to sit on 5 really really sml eggs... will they be smaller chicks or likely not to hatch? I candled once @ 2 weeks and tossed all the ones not developing. I have a hands off approach but I really dont want a bucnch of dead chicks because I hadnt watched them closely...

2. jreynolds24

Feb 3, 2014
    Ok so I checked on her she pushed the little out of the nest so I took her in :( I hope she makes it

3. jreynolds24

Feb 3, 2014
    Should I place her with a heating pad with moist towel or lamp ? .... sheesh ... so much for hands off.... [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it still in the shell? If it is, at this point, I'd carefully remove what's left and get the baby under a heat lamp asap. Either way, in or out, it needs the heat to be around 95*F.

Good luck!

5. jreynolds24

Feb 3, 2014
    Alot of the shell is gone... I think mom ate it... but the membrane is still pretty intact. I have her nestled in a damp towel under a lamp with a heat pad under ... I have to use a lamp that gives off heat but not much . I plugged mine in and after 2 min it popped.

I hope this was a fluke and she will be fine with the others... this way if all goes well I can slip her back with the rest

6. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Awwwwwww I just wanna know if she makes it. Go chicky go!

7. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    X 2. Keep us posted please! [​IMG]

8. jreynolds24

Feb 3, 2014
    Sadly she did not make it :(
    I had to tell my 5 year old she had died.
    "How is the little chick chick"
    "Honey I just checked she didn't make it"
    Tears "oh thats terrible, I thought she would"
    " yeah sometimes their little hearts cant hold on"
    " its natures way... can we keep an eye so that momma doesn't peck the others. I want them to be alive"
    "Well I checked and she seems to be doing well with the rest, it looks like two will be here by morning"
    "Thank goodness... wake up so early and check on the babies!"

9. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    Aaw that's really sad, sorry little chick chick didn't make it. My fingers are crossed the rest end up all okay.

10. jreynolds24

Feb 3, 2014
    We had 4 hatch and so far only one has stayed alive :( I can hear a really weak movement out of one egg... no peeps so we may just have one chick. Boo:( my sons are so upset. Keep telling myself that this has a lesson somewhere in it but I have yet to find one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by