Naughty RIR!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LedgeWoods, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Put all the girls to bed last night and discovered I was one short! Searched high and low around the property and in the woods - no Numchuck. Since DH had the workshop and machine shed doors open all day, I took another look in there, calling and looking in all the nooks and crannies (and there are A LOT OF THOSE!) Nothing. I feared a hawk, owl or 4-legged predator got her as she scratched in the woods. [​IMG]
    This morning I went out with the car lights hoping to find her roosting by the coop - no Numchuck.
    I got home from work this afternoon and DH says, "Guess who I found?" Numchuck had taken up residency in the machine shed. Little brat must've had a good roosting spot and never made a peep when I called for her in there. ....but she gently dropped a perfect extra large uncracked egg in the corner on the 1" gravel. [​IMG] Ok I'll take her peace offering, forgive her, and take the happy ending! [​IMG]

2. Ima Chicken Lover

Ima Chicken Lover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What kind of treats does DH have in the machine shed? Does he have a refrigerator in there maybe? Filled with cracked corn? MMMMmmmm.

[​IMG]

I'm glad you found your little one.

4. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Makes me wonder! He always brings the girls treats when he lets them out to free-range since he gets home from work before me. I think they think he's got a stash in there somewhere![​IMG]

5. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    We had a similar experience with our RIRs one night when they slipped out when the gate was left cracked. I went down to lock them up and found all but one. After checking everywhere, I finally found her on the peak of the roof of the coop (12 feet up!). Sitting up there not making a peep!

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    For some reason I've always noticed that after dark mine won't make a peep! I wonder if it is a predatory thing????

7. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    [​IMG]

8. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    After a hard day of pecking at everything, they deserve a break.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by