Naughty RIR!

LedgeWoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
Put all the girls to bed last night and discovered I was one short! Searched high and low around the property and in the woods - no Numchuck. Since DH had the workshop and machine shed doors open all day, I took another look in there, calling and looking in all the nooks and crannies (and there are A LOT OF THOSE!) Nothing. I feared a hawk, owl or 4-legged predator got her as she scratched in the woods.
sad.png

This morning I went out with the car lights hoping to find her roosting by the coop - no Numchuck.
I got home from work this afternoon and DH says, "Guess who I found?" Numchuck had taken up residency in the machine shed. Little brat must've had a good roosting spot and never made a peep when I called for her in there. ....but she gently dropped a perfect extra large uncracked egg in the corner on the 1" gravel.
big_smile.png
Ok I'll take her peace offering, forgive her, and take the happy ending!
smile.png

Makes me wonder! He always brings the girls treats when he lets them out to free-range since he gets home from work before me. I think they think he's got a stash in there somewhere!
big_smile.png

We had a similar experience with our RIRs one night when they slipped out when the gate was left cracked. I went down to lock them up and found all but one. After checking everywhere, I finally found her on the peak of the roof of the coop (12 feet up!). Sitting up there not making a peep!

For some reason I've always noticed that after dark mine won't make a peep! I wonder if it is a predatory thing????

Back
Top Bottom