Naughty roo's breaking moms heart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PluckyJen, Nov 6, 2016.

1. PluckyJen

PluckyJen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    My two roo's are being so wicked! Iv had to seperate them from the two girls completely. They will be in their own run right next to girls. The roo's are hurting the hens constantly trying to mate [​IMG] Now my one roo "Ginger" has such an attitude! He bites and flaps wings at me whenever im near. Am i going to deal with attitudes increasing the longer they are not able to jump girls? Iv tried to find homes for the boys but no luck yet so they stay. Increasing numbers of hens is not an option right now. My heart is sore as Ginger was my cuddly bear two weeks ago til "puberty" kicked in [​IMG] Oh and the two roo's seem ok for now, no fighting "as yet" really holding fingers there.

2. Rickovo

Rickovo Out Of The Brooder

Oh dear! I'm afraid to say there’s not much to say in the way of reassurances PluckyJen - its very unlikely to get any easier.
    On the upside, Ginger's attitude to you means that he isn’t afraid of you (so kind of likes you still in his own way) but as a mature cockerel that will mean treating you as competition. Be careful!
    I have a bantam roo (too old to be called a cockerel any more) that I took in and he would have my eye out given half a chance. I love him - its the way its meant to be. If he was bigger I would have to go into the run with a dust-bin lid for defence like I have heard of other keepers having to do.
    It's not completely unheard of for a pair of roosters to get along, especially if they have the bond of being raised from chicks together but it is also very (very) common for them to fight (as you know.)
    I think you will probably have to find a home for at least one of them.
    On the bright side, again, if you are going to find another home for a roo then you've got the best chance when they just reach maturity, especially if they are a breed that another keeper is looking out for.
    You can get saddles for hens to protect them - with one rooster that might be worth a try.

3. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa

Oh gosh u had me laughing at the bin lid move. I envisioned a star wars move. I may just do that soon if he keeps up his wickedness! [​IMG]. Thanks so much for your info. I still love my fluff butt but gosh i aint cuddling him any time soon. He will take an eye out for sure! [​IMG]. Ill cuddle my two girls instead,even if they squeel [​IMG] Like the saddle idea! Altho their poor heads and combs are getting bitten too [​IMG]

4. Rickovo

Sounds like you've got your hands full!
    Just wondering - why can't you have more hens?
    :) Fluff Butt or not, he will have to get used to being handled from time to time to check him over properly for lice etc. There will be some vids on Youtube probably but basically involves a hand over the wings to stop them reversing and then quickly under with the other hand from the front to hold their legs firmly between your fingers then cradle and lift. Will probably flap like crazy but if you don't lose your nerve and keep hold of the legs then they will give up when they realise they are not getting away and can't use their feet/spurs to scratch.
    Long sleeves essential and some cheap safety glasses would be a good precaution (at least at first.)
    You may well know this stuff but if not and you keep them, be confident - he might think he's the boss but actually he needs you to be :)

5. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    I havent got the space right now for more hens. Dont want to compromise on space for the fluff butts. Well this morning both boys were sweet as candy [​IMG] so yes im thinking there will always be an off day. Everyone has them [​IMG]. Your suggestion on calming them is great. Im going to try it next time Sir Ginger tries to b a smart butt again.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This is one of the harder parts of chickeneering...Romance meets Reality.

But those nasty males are delicious when they meet the noodles......
    ......and life in the chicken yard is suddenly much more pleasant for all involved, both humans and avians alike.

2 people like this.
  7. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    [​IMG] Even if i must dress up in armour to feed them ill do it. Meeting my cooking pot is NOT an option.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I guess you do not need advise??
    You only wanted to state that your Cockerels attack you......All I will say, is once they really attack you! The noodles will sound like a much better option.....

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  9. Rickovo

I know of breeders who have a 'three strikes and your out' policy for those they keep. Most, of course, don’t make it that far. Its a brief life for most cockerels but in the wild they don't fair any better unless they win all their fights and become the king of the castle!
    For a breeder, processing them for dinner is an honourable tradition - it would be a crying shame for them to go to waste but you can keep them as pets. That's OK - rare, challenging (and it has to be fair on your hens) but, with the space, I would do it and I'm only slightly mad :)

Must admit - I'm a little concerned about only room for 4 birds. I'm in an urban area with a small garden and only have room for 5 (realistically.) A small, relatively quiet, roo and neighbours who like to hear the 'noises of the countryside'! Lucky!

Just seen this reply from mustangrooster in the recent thread in this section

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140852/rooster-attacking

Sounds like a very sensible and informed take on it to me

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  10. PluckyJen

Jun 22, 2016
    South Africa
    Awesome! Thanks Rickovo [​IMG]. Interesting info that. This morning went well. Stood my ground and he lost interest quick. Quick bat of an eyelid then went on to eat his sunflower seed treat. Iv noticed the other Roo is putting him in his place too. Maybe hes moms night in wings [​IMG].

I also live in town with a small garden. Hubby and i are actually increasing their run today [​IMG]. Super excited! We work with what we have in space and try maximise. Ill post pics when we are done! My lady neighbour loves the roos crow. Im very lucky in that. Gosh my Gertrude is SO loud as well. She can squeel for treats. My oh my [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by