Naughty rooster... Suggestions please? *Pic on p4*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gypsy07, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a 7 month old Cuckoo Marans roo that I hatched out and raised myself. He's a big handsome showoff and very popular with my ladies. Problem is, every so often he sneaks up on me and 'attacks' from behind. I don't know if he's trying to romance me or beat me up, but it's annoying. Last time he did it I kicked him in the body then ran after him stamping and hissing and chased him all round the run. He seemed pretty cowed and kept clear of me for a couple of months after that, but today he ambushed me and did it again. I kicked him off and chased him round the yard with a shovel, and now I'm wondering if he's worth the hassle. I'm not scared of him, just ticked off.

Pros and cons: He's a big fat fatty and he eats tons. I only have one other CM hen so I'm not planning on using him for breeding and in any case his colouring's not quite right. But my ladies really like him, and I think he keeps an eye out for them when everyone's free ranging round the farm. I quite like to see all the strutting and crowing he does. And my boyfriend really likes him too...

So what does everyone think? Keep, rehome or cull?

If I decide to keep him, what can I do to improve his behaviour?

And if I decide to put him in the pot, what's the nicest way to dispatch him?

***UPDATE***

He's now on offer to a good home, pic on p4 if anyone's interested...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

stew pot

3. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    yep eat em

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Eat him. The girls will forget all about him.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hmm, the 'Eats' are three-nil up on the 'Keeps' so far.

So what's the nicest way to do the deed? I assume it would be best to do it once it's dark and everyone's tucked up in the coop for the night? That way I can just reach in and pick him out with no fuss and no chasing. Should I wring his neck? Chop his head off with an axe? What's best? I've never eaten anyone before...

6. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    He can't help himself. hahaaha I would keep him. Does he scratch you or hurt you when he sneaks up on you> If not, if your hens are happy keep him.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If he only ambushes you about once every two months or so, then you have to give him a swift-kick reminder [​IMG], I think that's pretty good. I would keep him. I had a BCM rooster who was constantly attacking me....sneak attacks and head on attacks. I had to do the "reminder" every single day. He is history......

I think I'd keep this one if I was in your shoes.......

8. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    I have some red star sex links roos thats been doing that. I have had three and all three have done that and it makes me mad. They wait until i turn around and do it. I wish they would do it to my face. They even chase my kids. I give them reminders but every few weeks to a month i get jumped on. Is it the breed of rooster or just the rooster? The kids wont even go in the field when the roos out. UGH!

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I have BCM that used to try that after being sprayed with the hose and smacked it has stopped. I had a beautiful golden polish that never got the hint he went to a home where he would not be free ranged and didn't prove a threat to small children.
    He may not hurt you now but once his spurs grow you may not be so lucky

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If you really aren't too attatched to him, replace him with another. There are too many good roosters disposed of for existing in a society where they are not needed (has to be done) and too many bad boys given a good home. We had to get rid of some roosters and the hens were a little lost for about a week, then they moved on and were fine. We ended up replacing said roosters (very mean) with a good boy a few months later. He was well worth the wait and my hens love him. If you don't want chicks in the future, you don't need a rooster. If you want a rooster, get one. Sometimes it takes a few trys until you find one you're satisfied with.

The attacking is just that: attacking. It's not playing and not romantic, and it may be annoying now, but when those spurs come in, OUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by