Naughty rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rolffamily, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My GLW are 27 weeks old; 4 hens and one rooster. The last couple of mornings I have gone into the coop to let them out,clean etc and he is standing on the ground and the hens are still one the roost. They all used to be right there, crowded around the pop door, waiting to be let out. So I know something isn't right, okay? Well, since I am in there, disturbing everybody, the hens all flutter down and the rooster lunges and pecks them until they all go outside. Then everything is allright since they can get away ( I am guessing). Anyway, their inside coop floor space is 4 feet by 10 and I am trying to imagine this bully rooster and 4 hens living together all winter, even if they have access to the outside. Should I just foster him out or does anyone see potential? Thanks.

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Your girls are definately unhappy. To much roo for too few hens. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The normal suggested ratio for roosters to hens is a minimum of 1:8, and usually 1:10 or 12. This is to keep the guy busy so he won't overbreed the hens.

You can try getting more hens for him, or rehome him. Or you can separate him by putting him into a bachelor pad.

Also- if you decide to get more hens, I recommend just going with chicks to prevent disease transmission to your flock.

You could separate him by putting him in a rabbit hutch for awhile or a dog crate in the garage at night if you don't have the coop space.

Also, if you separate him temporarily, say for a couple of weeks, and reintroduce him, he might be a lot nicer to the girls. This lowers a chicken in the pecking order.

These are just suggestions. Not everyone wants more chickens, another coop, etc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When I read about the protective rooster that guards his girls and finds special treats, etc for them I think "that's what I want with my small flock", so I would like to train my roo to be the macho guy. Do you all think a couple of weeks in boot camp by himself would do that, or would I be wasting my time?

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We have the same issue with one roo and 20 hens. He is a terror in the morning and the girls are either staying on the roost or going into the duck pen to get away from him. After an hour or so he seems to settle down and the rest of the day he acts like a nice roo. I'm thinking about pulling him out of the pen in the morning until he calms down OR just putting him in the pot. The second option is what my husband votes for!

Good luck.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not about bulllying. It's chicken reproduction. He wants to breed- they don't. Separating him until the hens are more mature might help. 4 hens are no where enough for a overzealous rooster. They are reluctant to leave the roosts because they know what he has on his mind.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by