Naughty Rooster

jburd

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Ok . . . Hazel was a little more than naughty tonight. Actually, he's been a very good rooster up until a few weeks ago. Since then he started occasionally pecking at my boots when my back is turned, but no other signs of aggression. Tonight, he pecked my at my hand when I went to pet him. Normally, when any of my chickens peck at me I pick them up and hold them for a while until they calm down and (hopefully) realize that I'm not a threat. Tonight, when I picked up Hazel he immediately pecked me in the face . . . bad. Blood, bruise, swelling, you name it. After that one good peck he let me carry him around everywhere I went with no trouble. 0.o

This guy has been a very good rooster up until recently. He spent his adolescence sitting on my lap eating saltine crackers and he looks after his girls with the utmost care. I'm not willing to give up on him unless he leaves me no choice. Does anyone have tips on how to work with him to regain his trust?

Edit: A few extra notes about Hazel: He's a 10 month-old Ameraucana and his girls are all his age. They all seem to be molting at this point (not sure if that affects behavior).

Last edited:
Thanks PharmGirl! I have one that I can use, but the guy has never done anything as aggressive as charging or attacking. I think he just got spooked when I picked him up. I guess I was hoping for a more 'positive' method to train him, but if that's not possible I'm definitely up for the squirt gun method. I used to use a baseball bat to fend off some Roos that I pet-sat for as a teenager . . . not sure I'm willing to go that far for my own Roo. =/

Definately doesn't hurt them. I used to squirt him and he'd shake the water off and just walk away. I agree with the picking them up and making him behave also either way pretty painless. I loved my roo and would Never had hurt him. Hope this helps :)

Well, naughty rooster is being naughty again . . . only this time I think it might be toward the hens! My girls have dropped in egg production and many are missing feathers on their backs and top of their heads. I thought maybe they started molting, but I have seen new feathers begin to grow and then disappear. I inspected a few of the girls tonight and the feathers are broken or torn on the back and the the head, no sign of lice or mites.

He is still not great towards me, but he's much better than he was! Now that the weather's warmed up I am able to be out with him and when he sees me feed his girls he considers me "ok." =) Of course now I'm wondering if he is to aggressive with them now when he's mating. A few of them have no bald spots at all and the rest are bald and raw on their backs and necks. I wonder if he's stressing them out so much when I'm not home (which is most of the time, unfortunately) that they've dropped in egg production

Any suggestions on how to get him to calm down a bit with these ladies? I've got 1 roo & 8 hens, all 13 months old and I'm getting 2 eggs each day =/. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom