1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Navy Chicken Lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shifter3, Jun 9, 2016.

1. shifter3

shifter3 New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Hi all, I have a small flock. 5 hens, 1 rooster, all BO. Here is the new coop I built for them.[​IMG]

I need some help with my rooster, he has started going after just one of my hens that was injured.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

Wow! That's a nice coop there. Looks like you have a great start to your flock!

On the rooster--try posting in the "Chicken Behaviors & Egglaying" section--they might be able to give advice on stopping that rooster from hurting the hen. However, I would also recommend checking out the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section, because I'm sure they'll give you some great advice on helping your hen get better for good.

Hope this helps!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Nice coop and area for your flock! You will need to either separate out the rooter or the injured birds. Never let a rooster mate with a sick or injured bird. Could possibly kill the hen, depending on what she is suffering from. Let her heal first. I like to keep sick or injured birds within the flock as much as possible, with rehab in a cage within the flock so mixing them back in is easy. If the bird need to be separated for other certain reasons, I still bring them out into the flock once a day even for a few minutes so they don't forget her. Mixing in a bird that has been gone due to illness or sickness can be very hard on that bird.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Nice coop. BO's, one of the family favorites! Good advice on where to check out the rooster problem...good luck!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roster behaviors are probably one of the top problems we get asked about. People who don't need fertile eggs for hatching, pretty much decide to live without one. The hens will continue to lay just as much many eggs albeit non fertile, and be much less stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by