NC--Free roosters, One ugly one and one that just ain't right!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Rogue_Woman, May 12, 2008.

1. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I've got a couple of roos that I couldn't pass up at the local flea market cause they were oddballs! The first one was identified by some lovely folks on this site that are much more knowledgeable than me as some sort of game x silkie cross or something, he's got an ugly head and funky feet!

[​IMG]

Yep, it's purple!
    [​IMG]

Check out the extra toe!
    [​IMG]

The other one is a white leghorn roo, I'm not sure if his problems are a result of genetics or the conditions that he was raised in, maybe a combination of both. I got pics posted, look below! He won't win any beauty contests... he's got ratty plumage, he had his beak "trimmed" at some point in his obviously crappy life, walks funny (runs even funnier), he's knock-kneed, and he's got a big meaty "comb-over." I really do think he's got something wrong in the head, he just seems strange, but he crows just fine! He lets my girls hold him and pet him, but ya gotta catch him first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm in central North Carolina (Orange County), so if you're interested in either one of these oddballs (and everyone should have at least one weird one in their flock to gawk at) and live close, you're welcome to them! I hate that I can't keep either one of them, especially the leghorn, (I'm really attached to him, not sure why!) but there's a "no roosters" ordinance for subdivisions in my county...as it is, I have to put them in a cage in the shed during the dusk and dawn hours so they don't drive neighbors behind us crazy, the coop faces their bedroom!!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Awww...your daughter seems to love them! I hope you find a home for them soon!

3. Rogue_Woman

May 12, 2008
    NC
    Nobody wants the charity cases? C'mon, they're pretty on the "inside" [​IMG]

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I think the leghorn is very beautiful

5. Rogue_Woman

May 12, 2008
    NC
    Thanks! I think he is too [​IMG]

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I cannot see your Leghorn very well in the pics, but I think it is a retired battery hen instead of a roo.

7. Rogue_Woman

May 12, 2008
    NC
    nope, he crows [​IMG]

8. SarahBeth

SarahBeth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    Aww, poor guys. I have a soft spot for ugly animals! I would love to take them both off your hands, I'm not sure what I would do with them though and I'm not sure about the rooster laws in the country now that you mention it. I clearly remember there being a rooster down the street from me when I was younger, so I'm sure it could be done- whether it's legal or not, I don't know. [​IMG]

9. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    How many fingers and toes were your kids born with?? :eek: You must have something funny in your drinking water. [​IMG] I wish they had roosters that did not crow, I would take them then! Especially the Leghorn he looks sweet~

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  10. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    The first one has been roosting in the ugly tree out back wasn't he it looks like he fell out and hit every branch on the way down! [​IMG] that extra toe freaks me out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by