NC State University Co-op Extension - Poultry Illness Flow Chart

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuperChiks, May 12, 2011.

1. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks SuperChicks, and being from N.C. myself will really be handy.. [​IMG]

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Thanks for sharing it with us. It's a bit oversimplistic however. For ascites (water belly) it lists cool and damp conditions as the cause and to give ACV in the birds' water. Acites has several causes, none of which are caused by cool wet conditions. It's normally caused by congestive heart failure or fatty liver disease. It's probably OK as a cross reference but I wouldn't diagnose a bird's sickness only from that paper.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    On the Leg Problem Flow Chart...at the very bottom---far right, it states, "Probably just a Lazy Chicken Breed." LOLOLOL, my first thought was my wife's cats!!! But they arnt chickens![​IMG]

5. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well - only an vet can properly diagnose of course. But as a brand new chicken mom - it gives me a little something to go on. For that matter I've never even heard the term Ascites so... [​IMG] - just thought it might be helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by