1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NE Alabama, anyone?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by EurekaSouth, Jun 23, 2007.

1. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

I'm in the Boaz area. I have chickens again after not having them for 25 years and need a "refresher course".

2. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    Hey neighbor! You are just on the other side of the GA line from me. What kind of chickens do you have? Oh and what is there to do out that way? Any camping areas?

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Hi there, I am from NE Alabama too, actually right up Sand Mountain from Trenton GA off I59.

Hisbride, there is a beautiful Camping facility on Guntersville Lake as well as several places on Lookout MT around Mentone and in Cloudland Park.

I raise Silkies, Sizzles and Bantam Salmon Faverolles. I am just starting a small group of Blue Orphington Standards as well.

4. EurekaSouth

I'm new to the area (as in new to the state) and am interested in cool places to go and things to do, too. We went to Cathedral Caverns for our anniversary and that was really "cool". We've driven past that campground on the Lake in Guntersville - it looks really nice - I'm going to have to check it out better, and go to Mentone and Cloudland Park.

5. kelly

kelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm in Northport, Al. I'm new to chickens. My son-in-law had these and no longer wanted them so I took them. I have RIR's, 1 Roo (sparkey) and 3 hens. One hen has something wrong with her leg and will be walking and fall over. She can't get up on the roost, which if her leg would give out she would fall off, so I have a pile of hay by the roost she gets on at nights and I'm going to try putting up a 1 inch dowel close to the ground to see if she can get on it. I'm making a separate nest box and going to put on on of those cement blocks that are like n inch or 2 thick for her. Right now she lays in a barrel but it hard to reach the eggs. This heat and drought is terrible! I fill them a pan of ice water during the day plus change their water 3 times a day. Kelly

6. Mechanic1987

Mechanic1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    Greetings and good luck with your chickens. We are in East entral Alabama- Anniston. We startes raising chicken last april. We have 12 and our hens started laying 2 weeks ago. Today we got 8 eggs and they are getting bigger. Good luck.

7. EurekaSouth

Oh, I'm so excited for you!!! My henshould be laying their first eggs any day now and I'm out there checking every chance I get!! We have 11 laying hens, 3 roos, 5 meat birds and we have one game hen that went broody as soon as we got her and she's raising the meat birds that we've had since chickhood. They're 3 weeks old now. When our roos get old enough to give us fertilized eggs, we can hatch our own! We have 2 barred rock, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 black sexys, one silver laced wyandotte, and 3 RIRs and 1 game hen. Our roos are Brewster (barred rock), Buffy (buff orpington), and Roadie (RIR), what kind do you have? Are you raising chickens mainly for eggs?

8. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Well, I am in South Alabam but I have had two different people from around B'ham area drive down for chicks or eggs. I raise Standard Blue/Black/Splash Orps and Buffs, Quality RIR's and then my Darling Silkies. Only Bantams I have. I have to say I have driven close to B'ham to buy silkies from Lydia Webb and Darlene. They have several other breeds and raise some nice chickens.

9. Mom2Daisy

Mom2Daisy New Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Hi all! I'm in the North Central AL area (Hartselle to be exact). I'm new to the world of chickens....but so far, I'm lovin' it!

My uncle started me out with 5 game banty chicks. They turned out to be two pullets and three roos. Well...one is still up in the air. I haven't heard it crow yet but it has more of a comb than the other two. Just this past weekend we went to the flea market and I got a pair of Buff Orpingtons and two RIR pullets.

My DH says they are "all mine" as in "I'm not feeding them or cleaning up after them". But I caught him the other morning with his coffee and breakfast sitting on the bench just watching them. He's coming around....before you know it, he'll be a chicken freak too!

10. mtnmenagerie

mtnmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2007
    NE Alabama
    i know this is an old post.... but that's me ~ NE alabama!! [​IMG]
    actually, i was very surprised to see that * jimnjay * and i are such close neighbors!! sand mountain girl here, too! :eek: lol, we might just wave at eachother as we pass on the road.
    i'm very glad to have found this forum. everyone thinks i'm nuts with all my chickens. i've got a little bit of everything, 50 all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by