Ne3ed to know about MG

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HOTONE, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    For some reason my daughter in law was asking about MG. She is thinking that we may have to destroy the chickens in the coop. They are not showing any signs like the runny nose or crusty eyes or whatever. We did just culled a rooster and a hen because they were sneezing and coughing with a clear discharge from the roosters nose. The others seem fine...they are eating and moving around. Are there any other signs? I did read that it is usually found in chicken farms but I would like to know for sure. We dont have the funds to have tests done or anything.....I would appreciate you alls help....thanks guys

2. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Hotone- i would also like to know more info. In the mean time if you go to my profile and go through my last thread about MG there is a bit of info there. If its just wheezing im not sure yours have it/ I think eye infections are the main give away. But there are sooo many ailments and little bugs that chickens can catch so I wouldnt jump to MG

My question is how you can test for it to be sure my birds are carriers of MG. I will not just cull all of my birds on 1 opinion based off of symptoms that just 1 of my chickens is showing.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Forget NPIP testing, why dont they do MG testing![​IMG]

4. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    SO I got some info from the NPIP tester from the CT Dept of Agriculture....I would say an extremely reliable source[​IMG]. So she said that MG is a bacteria or bacterium that is found in the soil... It is basically in every backyard flock. There is no true way to prevent except raising your entire flock off the ground. For example egg and chicken "factories" these chickens never set foot on the ground so these would be the only chickens that are truly MG free. If you treat the bird with antibiotics and it gets better then you can put it bk with your flock. Some birds are immune some are not...once you treat an infected bird it will then be immune and be a carrier...only if the bird is extremely stressed can it come out of dormancy and be contagious and infect other birds that may not have been exposed or be immune. She said that they dont test for it because protocol requires them to cull teh bird but she said they dont do it to back yard flocks because its ALWAYS gonna show up. I found this to be great news becuase I don not have to cull me SQ Sumatra roo now[​IMG]

SOO basically its just something to be careful with....and treat if it infects your birds

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

In the near future you will not get any MG free poultry, because there is no control over it...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by