Near Atlanta, MI.... Gaylord... Alpena... Lewiston???

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bluebirdnanny, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Trying to find mentors in my area. I am Atlanta and sometimes get into Gaylord. Anyone in the area into Buff Orpingtons?

I will need guidance and probably some physical coop advise/help. Funds and physical abilities are limited.

I am organic gardening and want to get into hens for eggs and meat for myself. Will probably have to do "modified" free range due to predators (next to wetland, state land area).

2. leithsloft

leithsloft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    Hi! I just moved to Gaylord. How did the Buffs do?

3. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013
    I ended up not going for Buffs.

I am going to be breeding and raising heritage RIR. They are what I really wanted to begin with anyway.

I got my first breeders from Freds Hens but also have two white rock type hens now that are the only two laying. So they are in Grace period now as the RIR are almost at point of lay. Once they do and I know the cockerel is doing his job I will be hatching and raising all their eggs to build both my eaters AND the breeding selection for later.

4. leithsloft

leithsloft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    Thanks. I was told to get ISA Browns for laying hens as they do well here with our climate. Good luck to you and will watch to see how your chickens fair.

5. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013
    Posted some photos in the "what is this chicken thinking" and the "Heritage Rhode Island Red" threads if you want to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by