1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Near Boone Iowa: Rooster mix breed needs new home

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Vadgo, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Vadgo

Vadgo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Hi. My small flock was attacked by a predator and I lost my 3 hens. My rooster survived. The coop is not heated and with winter coming I'm afraid he wont make it. He is 3 yr old. His mom was a german spitzauben and the dad was a speckled sussex mix. He is very nice. Never attacked kids or adults. Took care of his hens.
    Due to health issues we will not be getting more chickens for a while. I would like to find him a new home in the next two weeks.

Thanks.
    Vanessa

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Ship him to Indiana? I'll take him

3. Vadgo

Vadgo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    How do i ship? Usps? Would it survive?

4. daskhan

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm not entirely sure maybe usps in a pet/animal box and it all depends they ship chicks but usually more then one for warmth for just one you'd have to check the shipping requirements

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The receiver would need to order an approved shipping container such as Horizon - http://www.hm-e.net/ - to ship him in. He would then need to be sent USPS Express Mail (paid for by the receiver). The shipping cost will depend on how much he weighs and the distance traveled. It could run $75-80 to have him shipped.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. daskhan

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Ok well then I'm not sure it's in my budget for me to spend that much on that particular chicken sorry I'm out

7. Vadgo

Vadgo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Thank you for the info in shipping. I would offer to pay but I am also not able to budget that kind of expense.
    Hopefully somebody local wants him? He comes with a bag of feed as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by