Near-Coop storage and fermented feed location

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ShannonO, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ShannonO

ShannonO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Building my first coop this week. I have laid the foundation for The Garden Loft, purchased all the hardware and arranged for support and labor help.

I originally planned on modifying the henhouse part of this designed for storage of supplies. But chicken math kicked in and now what started out as a planned 6-bird flock will probably end up around ten in the first year and add more later. So now I want to leave the max square footage for birds.

The coop site is 100' away from the house and there are no existing good options for storing supplies. Not having done this before, my knowledge of storage needs is purely theoretical.

I plan on deep litter in the run, with lots of leaves from the woods and sand in the coop. But I expect I should still plan on keeping a bale of straw handy?

I would like to ferment feed, but that has to be inside the house to keep the temps right.

I have a spigot near the coop for filling the waterer.

There's a (completely full) shed nearby with tools like a fork for turning or mucking the litter.

What else will I want handy near the coop, and what do you store it in?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. ShannonO

ShannonO Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Ack. I can't find the delete thread button on mobile. I have found a ton of answers with better search terms than I tried on my first pass.

How do I delete?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by