Near Death medical

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ridgefire, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Songster

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Some people on here know I have been having medical problems for months non stop. I have severe abdominal pain that no doctor has been able figure out. They have thrown meds and pain killers at it. Nothing has helped.

Well Tuesday night I was sitting around thinking about getting ready for work, when my stomach started to hurt. I was like great here we go again. I took some of my pain meds and went on with life. When that didnt ease, I took a 2nd round and plus a different med, following all the doctors orders on how to handle my pain. I called work and told them there would be no way I could make it in tonight. An hour passes and the pain has tripled and no sign of easing. My wife is at work at the ER so I call her and talk to her to see what she thinks. We decided that she gets out in a few hours and when she gets home she would run me up for pain control. I made it roughly a half hour and called her again that there was no way I can wait and I was going to drive up. I made it as far as my driveway before I collapsed and couldnt move. I luckily had my cell phone and was able to call for an ambulance.

I get to the ER the Dr starts throwing every heavy pain killer in the book at this pain and nothing was working, you couldnt even touch my stomach it hurt so bad. They end up calling in a surgeon to evaluate me. Well he decides it cant wait and I was going in to OR right now. I was in surgery from just after midnight till almost 2 am. The surgeon said when he cut me open he didnt know where to start, my intestines had herniated through my diagrahm. Everything was in knots and he had to figure out how to get everything back in place.

Long story short I am doing fine now I am recovering nicely. I will be having the staples removed July 1st. My surgeon did state how lucky I was I called the ambulance when I did, if I would have waited for my wife to come home she would have found me dead, thats how close it was.

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thank God you were able to call for help and made it through OK. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and God Bless You............[​IMG]

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Songster

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yikes !!! [​IMG] Glad your still with us.... take it easy.....
    Edit to say....Just rechecked my message...and i read the sentence below......that has been my motto all my adult life......how true !....gave me shivers

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  4. briana1975

briana1975 Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    So glad you made it. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Songster

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    wow Ridgefire.. that is an incredible story. Glad that you are OK now.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Scary! Best wishes for a fast recovery! [​IMG]

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Wishing you a speedy recovery. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    My friend's brother had something similar happen to him. He started having severe abdominal pain and he made several trips to the hospital, and they couldn't find anything. They said it was the flu and sent him home. He ended up vomiting nonstop, and then collapsing, and his mom rushed him to the ER one last time. She screamed at them until someone finally took them seriously enough to really look at him. They finally discovered that he had a perforated intestine, and they said that if he'd been sent home one more time, he would have died. I'm so very glad they found out what was wrong with you. I hate when doctors treat the symptom but not the cause. I'm so happy that you are recovering nicely and I pray you don't have anymore pain. God Bless and I pray your recovery continues on as nicely as it is going now.

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    My wife just recently had an accident here at home and by the time I could get from the living room to the kitchen and to the er 3 blocks away her blood pressure was 50 over 37.
    Glad that you are ok and healing well.
    We had a good surgeon and hope yours was as well.

10. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    WOW! So thankful you're here to tell us about it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: