1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Near disaster this morning!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CK Chickadilly, Sep 12, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    When I went out this morning to let mama Bantie & her 15 chicks out of the barn I noticed a mouse glue trap upside down & moving. My heart just about came through my mouth! I thought I had chick proofed the barn but apparaently an old glue trap got underneath something & the baby chick found it. So here is a 2 wk. old baby chick stuck to the glue trap. My biggest fear is the stuff they put on them to uthanize mice, etc. Thank God is was old. Baby came off fairly easy, his one wing was a bit stiff & I marked him since she has 15.....& he is now running around with his brothers & sisters doing just fine. But I am going to keep an eye on him. I feel so stupid. I hope I don't have to worry about any adverse reactions to the little guy from that horrible glue pad.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my, how scary! You know though, i don't think they use anything other than glue on those traps. i don't think they put any kind of poison on them. So other than being a little sticky, hopefully he will be just fine.

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Don't beat yourself up over it. It will probably be just fine. Things happen sometimes that we are not in control of and as you said, you thought you baby proofed. I am sending good vibes your way. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    oh my! I'm very sorry! I hope little chickie will be okay!

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just looked at the glue boards. I use Tomcat glue boards & the pkg. says with Eugenol....a natural anesthetic & they are non-toxic....WHEW! Ok, I feel better now.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

No, when Mice get attached to those glue boards, they die of starvation, struggle and thurst. Cruel way to die. If you want to kill the mice, get a safe trap and just kill them quickly. If you are so concerned about your chicks, then use live traps.
    If you have ever seen a cat in one, or a anything else, let alone hearing any critter dying in one of those, you would be very honored to put that glue board trap out of business.
    I am sincerely glad that your chick is ok, but don't use those for my sake. A quick snap of the neck is the most humane death.
    Set traps under a milk crate with a heavy box over it, to prevent cats, chicks or chickens from getting at it....

(sorry for the rant)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by