Near drowning, recovery video.

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
Back on January 2, one of my ducks nearly drown. It was determined that it was because of "gang breeding". It was 27 degrees out, so the water must have been freezing. At one point we thought she died. She went completely limp in my arms with her tongue hanging out. However, she started to show signs of life. She fought hard, and it was a long painful process to watch her struggle to survive. She shook violently, would flip her head all the way back to her tail, flap her wings, and try to stand up. I spent about four hours sitting with her, holding her head up so she wouldn't hurt herself when she would flail around. It took about six to seven hours for me to know she was going to be fine. Towards the end of her struggle, somewhere around 12:30am, the poor girl laid an egg.

As of today, she is doing great!. Probably the only difference I see in her is that she seems a little slower (in the head), and physical characteristics are a little different. Whether or not that had anything to do with the near drowning, I do not know. Other than that she is healthy and happy.

I just got around to downloading the videos I took of her that night onto youtube, a daunting task in itself, and wanted to share them with you. The videos were taken after I felt that she was stable enough for me to be able to leave her alone for short spurts, and not have to be by her side constantly. I have learned a lot on this forum, and maybe these videos and information can help someone else.

They're not the best videos, but I think you get the picture. No pun intended
big_smile.png

That was very hard to watch, but thank you for sharing, and so happy to hear she has recovered. I have 2 drakes to 8 ducks and i am so thankful my drakes do not have anything to do with each other which means there is only 1 drake in the pool with any duck at any given time. That is scary.

glad to hear she's recovered. makes me think long and hard about whether or not to keep any drakes.

I have too many drakes for the amount of ducks I have. I have three Saxony drakes, and only four ducks. I have since separated them, but I wouldn't mind having one drake back with the girls.

I see you are getting some Harlequins from Holderreads, you'll love them. His quality of waterfowl is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom