Near end of hatch and temp is dropping humidity rising????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by christytrav, May 8, 2009.

1. christytrav

christytrav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    My first hatch. I have two pips but as they are trying to hatch my humidity has spiked and my temp had slowly dropped. Is this normal? I am scared to mess with it at this point. HELP!!

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    what is your temp and humidity? I just finished my second hatch...humidity was about 75% and my temp (fan forced) was right at 100

3. christytrav

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    Mine is not forced air and I have been holding steady at 101.5 and 69-75 on my humidity. But thru the night it has changed. First pip at 11:30 pm last night. It is 4 am here now and my humidity is 88 and my temp is down to 98.6 degrees. I can hear them chirping.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I am very new to this also. I dont know how you can reduce your humidity without also losing additional temperature. Do you have any type of vent plug you can remove to drop the humidity a bit? I have to do that with mine and it does not affect the temp much. I have heard that a lower temp slows the process a bit, but is not all that detrimental. The high temps are the ones that will really hurt your babies. Will be praying for you to have a successful hatch. Keep us up to date!! I have 2 pipped I need to go check on. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. christytrav

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    I had forgotten about my vents and went and pulled them about 5 minutes ago it has dropped by one percent already. Thanks for all your help. I will keep an eye on my temp. going to try to get a little more sleep. I see people on here saying it can take 24-36 hours I am going to be tired:)

6. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    What type of incubator are you using?? Why is the temp decreasing? The humidity seems fine for hatching, I use a dry-hatch method (lower humidity) with great results. But, it is important to keep the temp up so that when they do hatch, they can dry off and stay warm! Good Luck:D

7. christytrav

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    It's a Hova-bator. Not sure why my temp is dropping. I just turned up the thermostat on it. It does get cool here in the mornings but I have never noticed such a fluctuation before(then again I'm not usually up at 4am)

I can still here them chipping but there has been no progress and still only two that have pipped. I'll keep watching it and turn it up some more if I need too. Any suggestions would be great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by