Near frozen Guinea!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Memeschix9, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Memeschix9

Memeschix9 New Egg

May 9, 2014
    Hardy Dam Michigan
    Please shed some light. One guinea was found near death and frozen on 1-7-2015 late evening. I brought her in and put her under low heating pad with sheets and tee-shirts. In the morning I checked on her and she was alive. I gave her small amount of water and she drank it. Then I tried ground corn and meal worms, she ate that too! I have placed her in a small unused bathroom with old rugs, food and water. I check on her often. She is walking around gingerly and has eliminated as normal. How long should I wait before putting her back outside. They(other Guineas and Chickens) have a coop that is opened daily as the like to exit even if not very far. I live in northern west Michigan and it's been cold this week. Please advise as I don't want ot keep her in too long and then create another problem. Thanks bird people!!!

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Once she is active I would have her back out. But if she was as cold as you indicate, I am wondering if there was damage to her feet? By walking gingerly, what do you mean?

3. Memeschix9

Memeschix9 New Egg

May 9, 2014
    Hardy Dam Michigan
    I had an old rug in there with her and it may have been the reason she walked softly(?) I put her outside in the coop and within 3 hours her feet are again frozen and she walks (stiff legged) like. What shall I do, bring her in again?

4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Either bring her in or keep her I in th coop. Maybe she just dosmt know when to get out of the elements. The other day my chickens were free ranging and as it got darker I went to lock them in and they were not in the coop. Took me at least an hour to find all 7 and bring them to the coop. It had gotten cold and they hid for shelter all apart from eachother. Except two were hiding with the goat haha.

5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm from the tip of the mitten! Our guineas have lost toes in the past. The first signs we saw were swelling in the toes. Wrap her head and body in a towel and check her over. If she can not get around or is in obvious pain or cold bring her in. We had one girl who spent almost two months in the dog crate inside. However, last year one girl ended up losing all her toes and never spent a day inside. I will see if I can find the pictures of her feet.

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I found the pictures. The first is right after it happened. Her left foot is swollen and that was all you could see. The second picture is after about a month. It took another few weeks for her to lose the toe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by