1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Near miss at JFK airport!! :ep

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by whiteflare, Jun 28, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    http://floatmymind.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/re-that-was-quite-a-show/

I
    put up some things on my blog...

I found this on the liveATC forums:

A jet carrying 286 passengers slammed on its brakes and aborted a take-off this week at Kennedy Airport after another plane began taxiing towards the runway it was using, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Wednesday.

Lufthansa Flight 411 was cleared for take-off and EgyptAir Flight 986 was instructed to stay behind a “hold line”, 250 feet behind the runway, at 6.50pm on Monday, said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen. The EgyptAir crossed the line but did not enter the runway, she said.

“When air traffic control saw that, it cancelled the take-off for Lufthansa,” Bergen said, adding that the Lufthansa plane stopped “a considerable distance” from the EgyptAir jet.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

In radio recordings posted on the website LiveATC.net, a controller in the JFK tower is heard giving take-off clearance to the Lufthansa flight while another controller directs the EgyptAir plane.

“No! Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!” shouts someone in the tower as the EgyptAir plane crosses the hold-short line.

“Cancel take-off! Cancel take-off plans!” a controller shouts to the Lufthansa jet.

The Lufthansa plane, an Airbus A340, slammed on its brakes and came to a stop. Then it taxied off the runway. The pilot told controllers he was worried his brakes may have overheated, so controllers sent a Port Authority crew to help check the plane’s landing gear.

“That was quite a show. Thought it was going to be a short career,” a pilot who witnessed the aborted takeoff remarked on the radio.

The FAA was looking at “pilot deviation” because the EgyptAir plane, a Boeing 777, didn’t follow air traffic instructions.

“The pilot was instructed to turn onto another taxiway but did not,” Bergen said.

She said the FAA is investigating and will determine how close the two planes came.

EgyptAir officials said they had no knowledge of the close call.

The Lufthansa flight was heading to Munich, airline spokesman Martin Riecken said. After the takeoff was halted, the captain returned to the gate for a maintenance check while the passengers remained on the plane. The fight departed about two hours later, Riecken said.

There were no reports of injuries.

The New York Post reported that the EgyptAir flight was bound for Cairo. It was not immediately known how many people it was carrying. It departed about 90 minutes afterwards.

Bergen said investigators will listen to air traffic communications and look at radar replay.

Aviation authorities are increasingly worried about the danger of runway collisions as planes get bigger and airports more congested. In December a JetBlue plane took a wrong turn at Boston’s Logan Airport and nearly taxied onto a runway where another plane was taking off.

The deadliest crash in aviation history was a runway collision. In 1977 a KLM Boeing 747 crashed into a Pan Am 747 on the same runway in Tenerife, in the Canary Islands, killing 583 people.

Wow, I had no idea! That’s intense.

Here are some other things I found…

” Thank goodness for good visibility. Something like this happens under IFR day or night, with low RVR, and you’re looking at another Tenerife.”
    “You can hear the commotion in the ground recording. It’s unreal.”

Someone had also linked the Youtube recording someone made of the Lufthansa captain’s announcement… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_yK7Twz8E

Most
    of it is in German. I am meant to be learning German. Oh, that sucks. Looks like I’ve been slaving away at modalverbs and past participles for four years for nothing, eh? I didn’t understand a word of it [​IMG]

He did repeat it in English afterwards though (or ‘aftervards’, I guess it should be in German) “There was another airplane intruding the runway. (Insert ‘OOOH’ from male passenger) in front of us, that is why we aborted the take off, so we would not hit the other airplane.”

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Holy crap dude.

I swear I just watched a video on CNN that showed a 747 clipping a smaller plane that was still loading passengers. Turned it right around. That's super terrifying. I could not be an air Traffic controller- too much responsibility.

3. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    [​IMG]

Happens too much nowadays. Smaller airports, bigger planes. Holy moley, it's only a matter of time before something bad happens!!

It doesn't appear to be too bad in Approach. The Approach frequencies are always very quiet, unless someone's on a fuel emergency. it happens. [​IMG]

4. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    yea i see this on the news when it whent down. you think that's bad, how buot sleeping air traffic controllers. one was sleeping and a plane had to land by its slfe [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Another contributing factor is the clock. Passengers want to make their connecting flights, their appointments, ect, and Airlines exert an extreme amount of pressure on pilots, ATC, ground staff, and other employees to keep to a schedule with little margin for error.

From the moment pilots board the plane, they have a thousand things to think about to see departure done, taxi and take-off are done while trying to hold an accurate and comprehensible conversation over the radio and with eachother... and you add rushing them to that mix and its worse than going 90 down a congested highway, eating a burger, and talking on the phone while your kids leap around in the backseat and throw things at your head. [​IMG]

It said they passed the hold short line but did not enter the runway... which is not a far distance past the hold short line. That makes me wonder if the pilots were simply distracted and missed the line by a little bit. It's not like jets have reverse, LOL!

Flare... the only measly ATC story I have for you [​IMG] ... Anyway, one day at Boise... I was way out being circled about waiting my turn with approach on a fairly cluttered morning... and suddenly they're ordering the UPS jet to go around. They aborted the landing and ATC reported something suspicious on the runway, so had people run out and check it.. which took way to long with 10 planes circling if you ask me... and apparently there was indeed a one inch long shred of tire on the runway... and they held us all off for 30 minutes so they could scour the rest of the runway. It was fustrating, then they had to re-order everyone based on how much fuel they had left. I was last, of course [​IMG]
    Then when you're a little plane, they make you change heading and altitude every 60 seconds [​IMG] and expect it to be an instantaneous change... [​IMG] They are too used to the big guys who drop like a rock. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Flew out of JFK 4 weeks ago. It's a truly BUSY place. In reality it's amazing that things like that don't happen more frequently. [​IMG]

7. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:No kidding. I listen to air traffic control from that airport.... things were hectic a while ago.
    I think something must've happened to hold up the traffic flow: it was mayhem.
    Delta 395, I'm pushing you forward now.
    Jetblue 19, start up.
    Could you ask the United in front of us to pull up a little for us please?
    If you need two minutes, tell me NOW! Cos if it's two minutes, I'm going to put someone else there!!
    Air France 1023, you can start that second engine now.
    Dynasty 5391, pull up to the Air France in front of you. Pull RIGHT UP to him.
    You are fine right where you are, as soon as we get a route for you we'll figure out where to pul you.
    Air France 1023, PLEASE pull up in line.
    FOLLOW THE AMERICAN EAGLE.
    American 257! If you are on Charlie, you should be STARTED UP and READY TO GO. Your line is MOVING.

8. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:I heard about those incidents too. What about the ones where controllers were watching a movie on the job? Jeez, the entire system is crashing.

9. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:Oh, poor Squishy! [​IMG]
    That's actually quite a good story.
    A lot of planes go around at Sydney. It's usually because of wind shear: they kept getting sudden oncoming southerlies for some really odd reason, and the planes couldn't handle landing in a ten knot downwind.

What do you mean by them 'dropping like a rock'? [​IMG]

10. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    yae no kiding [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] what is going on here [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by