Near miss...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Dang. Got a scare this afternoon. [​IMG] I almost missed a chick not doing well. I let the whole troop out today and it's the only reason I saw her. Once all were out of the coop and I made CERTAIN, I saw one chick smaller, less feathered and pretty obviously beaten by the bigger chickens.

When I went to put them all up I snagged her up and found that she was quite thin, her keel was sticking way out and she'd no breast muscle. She's a scar over her right eye and an older mark in her comb. She's got more pin feathers than full feathers. I stuffed her in my jacket (once she felt the heat - she had no protests for me) and finished the chores and took her in the house and put her in with the minis.

She's been eating every time she wakes up and looks quite satisfied resting on the heavy shavings over the heating pad. I like that they can choose to cuddle up right on it. It's been a nice bit of peace of mind.

Another day or a few and I'd not have found her alive. It's hard when there are 25 that are nearly identical to account for all of them. Today I was making certain so that I could clean out without stepping on any of them. They're so unafraid I've begun to have to be really careful.

Since Ponder was ill there are electrolytes and sulfa in the water and a humidifier. She seems already more content and her crop is refilled to stuffed every time she wakes enough to move.

Looks like she just couldn't compete with all the much bigger chicks and chickens. The minis didn't put up a fuss about the addition so she can just stay in and take a vacation.

So often when there are many and they're identical it's so easy to miss one just not thriving and what you find is a dead chick. Even when you're used to it, that's not easy.

Heck even if it's a meat chick I don't like it. And you expect to get a few no-goes in a crowd of meaties. I'm just glad I caught it.

The others were doing so well today out in the mist, wind gusts and damp, and still ranging around having fun. I was a bit startled by my underachiever. For now we'll call him Scar and see how he goes. Ponder likes napping with him in the warmest spot so they make good company for one another.

Here's hoping... [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Glad you found the poor thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by