Near Threatened Red Billed Oyster Catcher - eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allears, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Allears

Allears Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Hi All, what is the procedure when you put a different birds species eggs under a duck / hen? A nesting site was disturbed and because my duck is broody I was asked to try and hatch out the chicks. I remove the ducks eggs completely, or do I just replace a few. The oyster catchers eggs are bigger than the ducks eggs and duck is a very small muscovey. All input welcome.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is this a African Black Oystercatcher or a North American Red Billed?
    How many days has the hen been on the duck eggs?

The incubation period can vary from 27 to 39 days. I assume under a duck, it will be on the shorter end of that since the duck won't be off the nest as frequently.
    If those are more valuable then you may want to remove the duck eggs. When eggs hatch, the mother will leave the nest after a day or two leaving all unhatched eggs behind.
    Whatever you decide to do, make sure the hen can cover all the eggs or few will hatch as those that aren't under her will cool and die.

Are you prepared to hand feed the chicks that hatch or is someone available to take and brood them?
    They'll likely need shellfish and insects.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  3. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    African Red Billed Oyster Catcher
    Duck on duck eggs for 3 days only.

4. Allears

Jul 4, 2015
    South Africa
    Thanks all for the positive input. Oyster Catcher chicks are more "fragile" than ducklings, so would be removed on hatch. Once they've hatched we take over caring for them. Imprinting is always a risk and glove puppet feeding helps tremendously to reduce the likelihood. The eggs were already too cold to save[​IMG] Hopefully I'll have broody hens if it happens again, my hens are bigger than the duck [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not necessarily.
    The following link is about chicken eggs but the general theme holds for many types of birds.
    I would have set them anyway. When any bird lays a clutch, she is on and off the older eggs which will cause cell division off and on.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by