Nearby Chemical Leak

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
About 15 mins away from where I live, there’s a toxic chemical leak and it could possible get carried through the wind to my area. If this happens, what am I supposed to do for my chickens? Should I keep them in the coop and only allow the vents to bring air through? Should I not worry at all or just monitor them?

About 15 mins away from where I live, there’s a toxic chemical leak and it could possible get carried through the wind to my area. If this happens, what am I supposed to do for my chickens? Should I keep them in the coop and only allow the vents to bring air through? Should I not worry at all or just monitor them?
Oh, that's terrifying! Please stay safe!

I would probably close mine up. What suggestions are authorities making for pets?

What happened? What chemical?

Where do you live, what state? I ask because there has been a train derailment in Ohio and people are suppose to evacuate within a one mile radius. And the train was carrying hazardous chemicals

That's utterly horrifying.
It could happen with a truck carrying haz mat too. I just read that they evacuated more people and are setting fire to the train cars in a responsible way. They want to be able to control any fire before it could blow the train cars up

It could happen with a truck carrying haz mat too. I just read that they evacuated more people and are setting fire to the train cars in a responsible way. They want to be able to control any fire before it could blow the train cars up
Yeah, it just looked it up and read a few articles about it. I'm glad they prevented an explosion.

On busy days like today, I don't get caught up on the news until around this time.

I used to live near a railyard. Union Pacific did some renovating and found a bunch of munitions. Had to detonate the mines and whatnot. There were evacuations. They then the installed warning sirens along that stretch because they realized how poorly prepared they were.

Where do you live, what state? I ask because there has been a train derailment in Ohio and people are suppose to evacuate within a one mile radius. And the train was carrying hazardous chemicals
Yep I’m near where the accident occured but I’m not close enough for evacuation. It’s been spread that all we have is an odor though and the air has been tested multiple times, so i think we’ll be okay.

OP, if I were you, I'd bring my chickens inside if possible, until this is all over. Hopefully that's possible for you, no matter what toxic chemical you are dealing with or where you live
Is it okay that some air is still flowing through ventilation?

Back
Top Bottom