Nearly 3 Months Old, Can You Sex Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marlene, Nov 25, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    THIS IS MY SILKIE, (YEAH I KNOW VERY HARD TO SEX THATS WHY I'M HOPING SOME OF YOU WILL HELP ME) IT'S NEARLY 3 MONTHS OLD SO ANY IDEAS??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THIS ONE WAS 1 OF 3 THAT I HATCHED, THIS ONE WAS THE SMALLEST OF THE 3 AND HAD THE SMALLEST COMB, MY FRIEND TOOK THE OTHER 2 SO DON'T HAVE THEM TO COMPARE TO ANYMORE.
    TIA

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would say at 3 months old, that is definitely a roo..

3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    What do you see that say's roo? i have no idea so trying to learn from this.

4. aoxa

Quote:Okay, so the slicked back crest of him is a boy feature. The wattles are quite large for that age. His chest is broad and he stands tall.

[​IMG]
    My rooster

[​IMG]
    Pullet

[​IMG]
    pullet

[​IMG]
    Pullet

I just mostly compare to my girls and boy.

This could also be a poor quality pullet.. Most girls will have so much of a crest they can't see very well.

ETA: They will also be much lower to the ground. The boys will have streamers coming out of their crest. You can see it on my roo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Your baby is a boy! Super cute![​IMG]

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you aoxa for sharing the lovely pictures and your knowledge with me. I was really hoping for a pullet, the 2 my friend too were much bigger and had larger combs and wattles so was kind of hoping this one being different meant i had a pullet.
    I have 2 other silkies that are a week behind this one and they look the same except for they don't have the wattles, lets hope i get atleast 1 pullet [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    at 3 months it should have hackle feathers take a piace of colored cloth (i would try and use black) and place a few hackles on it. if they are rounded then hen if any of them at all are pointed then you have a roo.

looking at it they look to be pointed but its hard to tell. my guess would be roo

8. aoxa

Quote:Silkies are next to impossible to use this method on. All their feathers are fluff. [​IMG] I find the streamers are the most reliable indicator.

9. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Silkies are next to impossible to use this method on. All their feathers are fluff. [​IMG] I find the streamers are the most reliable indicator.

All i see is fluff, what age do the the streamers start appearing?

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by