1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nearly 3 week old chick with missing feathers/skin exposed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MedSchlFarmers, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    This is my first flock of chicks. They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. I have had them since they were 6 days old. I purchased them from a local home/small farm. I was told that the chick I am concerned about is a Lavender Orpington. She is one of the smaller (not younger, they are all the same age) chicks in the flock of 7. They are eating Dumor Chick Starter/Grower from Tractor Supply Company exclusively. I have alternated plain water, medicated water, and water with Save-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotics. Their bedding is pine shavings and they have about 1 sq ft per bird in their brooder box. I occasionally hear a chick/chicks "yell" as if hurt, but I am never able to get there in time to see what happened. I have a straight run, not sure who will be rooster/hens. I do observe this chick "cleaning herself" often, maybe more so that the others. All poop in the brooder appears normal to me. I've attached several pictures. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure why here skin/feathers looks different from everyone else. I was told I have 3 Americaunas, 3 Orpingtons, and 1 Silkie. I tried to get good pictures of how the skin and feathers look. What you see in select areas is pretty wide spread on the whole body. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It looks fine to me, it looks like it has reached what I call the "ugly" stage where they are growing there feathers and losing some fuzz. Keep an eye on them if you are worried but I don't think anything is wrong. Oh also if you would like us to tell you what breeds you have you can start a thread in the What Breed Or Gender is This? forum.

3. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Good to know! She/he is the first to look like this. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My wife called that the “vulture” phase when she saw several black Australorp chicks perched together at that age. They were really scruffy looking.

Some chicks feather out faster than others. That’s largely controlled by genetics. If I remember right that’s a 20% protein feed so they are getting plenty of protein. Each chick is an individual, expect each one to develop at its own pace. You’ll really notice that when some go into puberty earlier than others.

5. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    oh good! as a new chickie mom I was worried, so glad to hear it is normal! whew! I tried to prepare myself and my 3 kids that some might not make it and that a few would likely be roosters (that we would have to get rid of), but it's sad to think about! so far so good!

6. daynastevens

daynastevens New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Just curious how this chick tired out. I purchased some Lavender Orpington chicks this week and most of them look normal; however, one looks like the pic you posted. Breeder said chicks are just under 4 weeks. The skin under the wings where it connects to the spine is very dry and smell. Lack of feather growth and the chick fuzz looks dry and as if it is scaled. smelly too...I have bathed and dusted with DE for fear of mites. Hopefully someone can give me some insight. I am new to having chicks, but I have been taking care of various chicks since February and not had any problems. The chicks I purchased in February smell good.

7. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    She never smelled. It turned out to be normal feather development. Thankfully she is healthy and beautiful and just started laying. Sorry I can't be more help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by