Nearly 4 week old chicks...often shaking head

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I hatched out some turken (shipped eggs) and EE's (from my own flock, cross between EE and RSL roo). They all seem very healthy, eating, drinking. They were hatched out Oct 23rd, so nearly 4 weeks now. I've put them outside a few times per week the last couple weeks, in a little pen, for about 4 or 5 hours a day, in direct sun when it's warm enough. Otherwise, they are inside in the brooder, on medicated feed.

The EE's, since week 1, do this head shaking...almost like something is on their head, and they're trying to shake it off. The Turken do not do this at all. Just the EE's. It's not constant. But often enough to make me a little worried. Find it very strange that it's just the EE's...otherwise I'd think they had some kind of respiratory issue. We've looked, and see no bugs, mites or lice. I'm at a total loss...is this even something I should worry about?

The behavior has not changed since the first week...has not increased...

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Its hard to picture...if you can post a video of them doing it, it might help to determine if it is a "normal" looking behavior or something else.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    My silkie hen is about 8 months old now did the same thing. I feel sorry for her its like she is have seizers. I could not find any answer for this. She eats and drinks fine..

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My EE when it was young shook its head a lot too. I think its the longer feathers on the head or something. She is still alive and well at 16 weeks

5. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    My EE shakes her head when fire trucks pass, or the siren sounds in the distance at the firehouse.
    She, too, is the only one who does it. Weird. [​IMG]
    She's otherwise happy and healthy, so I don't worry too much about it, even though she's my favorite. [​IMG]

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I'll try and get video later today....

7. Cambium29

Cambium29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I have a cochin who does that. She's a constant complainer and often gets a head shake in there, too, just to make her point. All the girls are healthy, no infestations nor diseases nor injuries, so I don't think it's anything more than just a habit. My other chickens don't do that so I just chalk it up to being one of her quirks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by