Nearly 48 hours of hatching already - PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Apr 16, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    The first pip was almost 48 hours ago so I felt I had to take those who've hatched out while I wait for more. I had no idea it would drag on like this. We have five Barred Rocks hatched. One is still in the incubator.

Hermie, the early bird, was first. (Yeah I think he's a she)

[​IMG]

Then Sammie

[​IMG]

In memory of his daddy, Hawkeye Junior

[​IMG]

Slick (because he's covered in dried goo that makes him resemble The Fonz.)

[​IMG]

We also have two pips that started yesterday and STILL are not out, a BR mix and a WC Black Polish. And a new BR pip from this morning. I trying to decide if I should intervene on the BR mix, it started zipping then seems to be stuck half way through. It has a healthy set of lungs that's for sure. The polish one I don't think will make it. None of the other polish eggs have even pipped.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Your new babies are great!
    Maybe someone else more knowledgable will come along and help out about the eggs not hatching. Are you hearing peeps from the eggs that haven't pipped yet? I wouldn't give up on them yet.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Ohh so cute how many eggs made it?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. FrontPorchIndiana

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, we have six Barred Rock total and I think they're half pullets/ half roos. Then Charlotte's baby hatched as well. It's still in the bator drying off with the last two barred rocks. The WC Black Polish didn't make it. Pipped but didn't have the energy to zip. We still have ten eggs in the bator. I won't give up on them yet, but I suspect we have what we're going to get out of this hatch.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you get three BR pullets out of this hatch, that's three excellent layers for you, then. And hopefully, Charlotte's baby is a girl, but it may be trickier to sex that one right away. It should have the cutest little poufy cheeks and beard. Congratulations!

6. FrontPorchIndiana

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Thanks so much for the eggs Cynthia, this has been such a great experience for the whole family. We'll do our best to take good care of your grandchickies.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know they're in great hands, Christine. And if you ever want to do this again, maybe try some Blue Orpingtons when my other orders are filled, please let me know, or watch for me to offer them on BST.

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Oh my gosh, they are too cute!! My chicks from my last hatch are in that so-ugly-only-a-mother-could-love-them feathering out stage [​IMG] so it's cool to see "fresh" fuzz!!

Christine, I PM'd you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by