Nearly 5 months old and still none the wiser. (warning: pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Porterfive, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Porterfive

Porterfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Collinsville, MS
    All these girls are just under 5 months. They were from a mix from MPC. If you know what they are, please let us know..We have ideas, but aren't sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This black one, has white lobes, black feet and much smaller than the rest (thus the pic with the rock for comparison). She's also, very very skittish...she'll always put something between me and her.
    [​IMG]

This one has a rose comb...Looks much like the other two white and black ones, but different combs. Hmm
    [​IMG]

Then other two white/black ones with single comb.
    [​IMG]

Unusual Barred rock? Looks like a very white Barred Rock.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a closer pic of the 'whiter rock' There's a black girl behind her, she's huge and all black, thinking black sex link?
    [​IMG]

And this GL Wyandote, was "supposed to be a girl", but hey, nobody's perfect.
    [​IMG]

So whatcha think we have here amongst all these hens?

2. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I feel like I've heard that the lighter barred rocks are males- comb is larger on that one than your other BR too... I'm no expert though [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That barred one with all the white looks like a black sexlink cockerel to me. Its definitely not a pure BR. I think the first one is a Blue Andalusian and you could have a couple more of those. White earlobes are what make me think that on the blue girl in the first pic.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Blue, splash and black andalusians. The black might be a minorca though.
    Barred Rock.
    Columbian wyandottes.
    The big black girl could be a Jersey Giant, Australorp or sex-link like you said.
    Not sure what happened with that really light barred one!
    Wyandotte roos are quite docile- if you can keep a roo he'd be fine for your flock.

5. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    That light Barred Rock must just be a mutation/cross, it is a she. The only male you have is the GLW

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Golly, haven't seen you in a long time! [​IMG]

The white looking ones, the gray one, and the first black one are all Andalusians.

The barred one is indeed a cross.

The black headed white ones are Columbian Wyandottes, some might be Columbian Rocks too.

7. chickenlover54

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Golly, haven't seen you in a long time! [​IMG]

The white looking ones, the gray one, and the first black one are all Andalusians.

The barred one is indeed a cross.

The black headed white ones are Columbian Wyandottes, some might be Columbian Rocks too.

Haha ya, I guess I took a break for a while. Its good to hear from you. Looks like you took over my spot as leader of What Breed or Gender is This? Haha

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Pic #1 - Blue Andalusion
    Pic #2 - Splash Andalusion
    Pic #3 - Splash Andalusion
    Pic #4 - Black Andalusion (MPC doesn't sell Black Minorcas)
    Pic #5 - Columbian Wyandotte
    Pic #6 - Columbian Wyandotte (MPC doesn't sell Columbian Rocks, and some hatchery Wyanottes have single combs)
    Pic #7 & #8 - I would say Black Sexlink rooster, except MPC doesn't sell BSLs? [​IMG] Maybe a Barred Rock with very unusual coloring?
    Pic #9 - Gold Laced Wyandotte rooster

9. chickenlover54

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Cowgirl, I have to say that the calf in your avatar is precious! Amazing color!!!!!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2
    This was the only thing I wasn't sure about, I've heard of hatchery Wyandottes having single combs on other varieties, but not sure on the colombian. guess anything's possible! I don't think that white barred bird is a roo, some weird mutant barred hen. Nice mixed flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by