Nearly a tragedy.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DerbyChook, May 21, 2010.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I took my 7 year old son and ran out to pick up a friend whose car had broken down. When I got home, the garage was full of smoke and my 50+ pound dog was IN the huge box we are using as a brooder. The heat lamp had fallen into the bedding, and the bedding was smoking. I got the dog and chickens out of the brooder, put out the fire and unplugged the lamp. Weirdly, all the animals seem to be fine. One of the chickens is missing feathers on her breast, but other than that, they all seem fine and are eating.

Do I need to treat the animal who lost the feathers in anyway? I don't see any blood, and she seems ok. Me, I lost at least 10 years of my life. So grateful all my animals are ok and the house didn't burn down. Will be having a word with the children about closing doors properly. [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh my goodness! If the little chick isn't showing burns or sores, you probably won't need to treat. I'd give them some vitamins or electrolytes in the waterer for a few days to help combat the stress.

Glad everything turned out okay!

3. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Can you recommend a brand of vitamins or electrolyes? I think I need some too.

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    So glad everyone is ok!!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:After something like that, I'd need a glass of whatever vitamins could be found in a bottle of good Idaho potato vodka.

6. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Quote:After something like that, I'd need a glass of whatever vitamins could be found in a bottle of good Idaho potato vodka.

LOL [​IMG]. [​IMG]

So glad everybody's okay!

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I just buy the yellow packet of vitamins/electrolytes from Tractor Supply. It was about $5 and I use 1/4t to a gallon, so it'll last forever.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yikes! [​IMG]
    Keep a close eye on them now...smoke can kill a bird very fast...

9. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC

Sadly, I quit drinking years ago. But on days like today I regret it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by