1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nearly all dead in the egg....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by neilgolli, Apr 27, 2009.

1. neilgolli

neilgolli New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    First time every hatching chicken eggs. I used a still air hobovator temps were set at 99.5, humidity was around 45% I saved 10 eggs a day for 3 days, kept the eggs from the first two days at 45 degrees and turned them twice a day. The last 10 came straight from the hen house to the incubator. At day 21 1 hatched out, day 22 2 more hatched out. It is now day 25 and because none of the other eggs have pipped I just broke 3 of them open to find fully formed birds inside that were all dead. I'm guessing the rest are dead as well just trying to figure out what went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    First off [​IMG]

Now to business: on a still air bator your temp should be 101.5 not 99.5. I usually keep my humidity a little lower around 35% to 40%. Did you raise the humidity to 65% the last 4 days?

Sounds to me as if they may have drown due to high humidity. Just my opinon.

Better luck next time.

3. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    I think still air incubator temps are supposed to be 101. 99.5 is for forced air incubators. That very well could be the problem. I am not familiar with still air but am sure it its supposed to be higher than 99.5

Sheila

4. neilgolli

neilgolli New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I did not have instructions for the incubator as I got used from a friend and was told to use 99.5 from him. I did not raise the humidity at the end either as I did not know. I guess I'll toss todays eggs in there and give it another go. Thanks for the help.

5. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Oh.......

If you didn't raise your humidity at day 18, then they probably shrink wrapped themselves in the shell. Read the top of this forum about hatching. Alot of good info there.

Basics are:

99.5 temp for bators with fans
    101.5 with no fan
    35 to 40% humidity day 1-18
    65%ish day 18- hatch

Humidity will spike as they hatch and dry out. this is OK

Day 18-21 DO NOT open bator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by