1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nearly Hatched Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MJDsMum, Nov 7, 2014.

1. MJDsMum

MJDsMum New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi there! I'm new to this forum but really hope someone can help and quickly.
    I have two broody bantams that we purchased 6 fertile eggs for. Monday is 21 days since the girls started incubating.
    Today I went out to check on them and noticed that one has hatched, probably overnight. I've noticed that one of my girls has killed the baby by scalping it, amongst other things.
    She had two hatching chicks (eggs already cracking) under her so I've removed them. I have them in a box in my room, wrapped in a towel and under a 60w globe. This is the same set up I had for hand rearing lorikeets and hope it will be warm enough for these eggs.
    As they are hatching, I want to know how warm I am supposed to keep them please? I realise once they are hatched, they will stay where they are until completely dry. I won't be reintroducing them to mum.
    Hints and tips please?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    welcome to BYC first off they need 99.5 and about 70% humidity to finish the hatch. wrap them in moist paper towels and get a thermometer in there. after hatch they will need 95 degrees for the first week and dropping it down each week by 5 until you hit 75 degrees. they should mantain that til they are fully feathered. good luck with them. [​IMG]

3. MJDsMum

MJDsMum New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Thank you!! I presume you mean Fahrenheit? lol Celsius would cook them for sure!
    The good news is, three hours ago my first chick hatched and I've just had the pleasure of seeing my second chick kick away their shell. I'm pretty happy right now.
    I have them under the lamp and covered with a folded towel but plenty of room to move if they need. Tomorrow I'll head out and buy them some food :-D[​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Holy fluffball!! lol He looks like a giant compared to the just out of the shell one....lol Congratulations!!!

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes, thats what i meant. lol sorry. congrats on the hatch. you only had the 2 right ? I could try hatching like that til i was blue in the face and I am about sure i wouldnt of got the first one. [​IMG]

6. MJDsMum

MJDsMum New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    I actually had 6 eggs to start with and all of them hatched. The first one hatched under the hen and she killed it so I rescued the next two that were showing signs of hatching. these are the two in the last photo I posted.
    My husband and kids went out first thing this morning to discover two more chicks hatch, one was almost dead (it died a short time later) and the other was under the other hen, quite happy. There was also the last egg, showing signs of hatching.
    They buried the chick, brought the live one in and the egg. The egg hatched about 5 hours ago!
    They are all bright eyed, albeit a little tired and making lots of chick noises. The older two have already started eating chicken crumble and drinking water. One of the younger ones thinks its great to fall asleep in the food...but hey! each to their own right? lol
    [​IMG]

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they are so cute !!!!! thanks for sharing the pictures. looks like you will have your hands full for a while.[​IMG]

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh...you have a couple "penguins too!!! [​IMG] I have two, I love the look, I have a feeling both mine are roos though. [​IMG] Do you know what breed/breeds they are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by