Neat Brooder I made .....PICS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenzoo, Sep 5, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I needed more room for my chicks, but with less space, so I found this storage container on sale at WAL for $15. and it has wheel you can put on or stack them.
    [​IMG]
    I had Hubby buy these light bulb holder thingies and screw them into the back of each drawer after drilling a small hole for the cord. Each drawer has it's own plug so it can come out and be cleaned easily.
    [​IMG]
    I can wheel it around the room and it takes up less space. It only needs a 25 watt bulb in each drawer, less if I could find one and I can open and shut the drawers for more ventilation. It has gaps around sides and back to let air flow around. It was simple and affordable.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Great idea but make sure there is plenty of ventilation. Also if they get too warm is there enough room for them to get away from the bulb?

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I agree with Miss P-very cool idea, but maybe some wire mesh somewhere to ventilate?

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Brilliant idea but I'm with the others... I'd be concerned they'd actually get too hot.

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    That is awsome.... very neat Idea... I would cut out maybe four by four patches.... on the sides.. and place over the hole some type of mesh.. thinking of mesh and holes and my past experience with them... something very easy woud be to get those metal mesh patches for drywall and then with a little extra duct tape... [​IMG] presto.. extra ventilation.. cut the holes towards the front of the boxes to create a frontal cross wind and then warmth in the back.. AWSOME!!! perfect for people who sell their chicks early before they get real big.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I noted in the original post that the sides and back of the drawers have a dip in them so they allow air to flow all the way around. If they started to get too hot i would just take a wood burning tool and melt vent holes in the sides etc. I put a wire guard around the bulbs when I use them, made of hardwire cloth. It has been 3 days now with chicks of various ages and all are doing well with no panting, none clung to the walls to stay cool. They seem perfectly happy. The drawers are longer and bigger than they look in the pic.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Neat idea.
    If I had one of those I could wheel it outside to let the babies out to play while I cleaned it....

8. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I LOVE your brooder! It just seems so incredibly practical. I like the idea of melting a bunch of air holes in the sides, it would sure make the drawers easier to clean than fastening mesh. At least for me... the person who prefers the least amount of cleaning imaginable. [​IMG]

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    That is so cool!!! What a creative idea!!

My brooder is out in the shed where the main coop is, due to the fact that my 5 cats would try to get into a brooder in the house. But they wouldnt be able to get into something like that, I bet!

10. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

What a neat idea! I can definitely see it with some pimped out venting and it is good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by