1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nebulizer treatment w/ Batril - questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ethingtonart, Sep 10, 2009.

1. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Ginger my approximately 8 month old easter egger has had symptoms of a "cold" for about a month now. I decided to take her to the vet, and have been really happy with how she has been treated. Today the vet put her under for about 10 min. to get a sample to send to the lab at Purdue University to figure out what exactly she has. She has the lump in her throat (wet pox?) but when the vet swabbed the lump she saw two types of bacteria one short rod type, and one spiral type (secondary bacterial infection?) She decided to treat with baytril and gave her an injection yesterday, and I had instructions to nebulize her this afternoon. I did, and as the treatment was finishing she began to have horrible diarrhea! It was solid (log shaped) in the middle but completely watery and green all around.

UPDATE: I talked to the vet this morning and she seems to think that the diarrhea was either coincidental (caused by fluids given to her when she was put under), or could be a reaction to the medication or dosage of medication. We decided to continue treatment with a half dose of the medicine this afternoon.

New questions:

Does anyone know when it will be safe to eat her eggs, or know of any source that might have the half life information that I could give my vet? (I'm going to stick with my vet's advice and not eat the eggs until spring unless we can find out for certain when it would be safe.)

Has anyone given Baytril to one of their chickens before and had an adverse reaction? If so, how did you resolve it?

Any guesses on what Ginger has? I'm dying not knowing! The test results will be in on Monday or Tuesday, but I have a hard time being patient! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I would bring her inside so you can monitor food/water intake as well as isolate her from the rest of the flock. Vitamins and electrolytes are always a good thing as well. I mix w/scrambled egg - unless they're dying, they usually eat it up. Good luck.
    Also, add yogurt (w/live cultures) to negate the effects of the antibiotic. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria that digest food as well as the bad, hence the runny poops. Any "probiotic" supplement will help.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Thanks Thebritt! I kept a close eye on her last night, but my husband wouldn't let her in the house so I kept sneeking outside with the flashlight to spy on her! [​IMG] She seems to have had only the one episode of diarrhea. Thank goodness!!! She seems to be doing fine. When I gave her fresh food and water this morning she ate really well and seemed to be drinking well too. I'm still keeping a close eye on her though!

The only change in her condition that I can really see is that her comb seems to be less red in color than it has been, and her throat sounds less congested.

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'm glad she seems to be doing better. A little concerned about the pale comb, though. Do you have any vitamins you can mix w/egg? Paleness is often a sign of a deficiency.

5. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I have some tri-vi-sol that I could put in her water. Would that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by