necassary doors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Saltiena, May 13, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    if i were to have my run attached to my coop on the side where the door would be, could i get away with not having a door? the run has a roof so nothing could get in, that way they could always have access to the run and coop, just for those times when i'm away for a week or so, that way they could still go into the run, i was also considering just a bottom door, just some wood on the bottom half of the door, that way it's like a window, but they can't get out?

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    That is kinda what I do on one of my coops. The people door is the chicken door. They can go in and out 24/7 and if I have to lock them in, I just shut the door. The door has hardware cloth with metal panels over it. I remove the metal in the summer.

Whether you want just a three sided coop depends on where you live. In colder climates, you may want more protection in the winter. In warmer climates it will be better ventilation.

In the picture, the yellow door is a storeroom which also conects to the inside of the coop.
    [​IMG]

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

We have the same type of set up for our hen house. Depending on where you are locating at, we are in NEPA and get rathered cold winters. All summer long we leave the door off completely were it goes into the kennel run. This makes it so we can also go in and out through the hen house rather easily. Since we do have such a large run. (3 kennels put together and a fenced in hill.) When fall comes about Oct. We close off part of the door with plywood, and the rest with berlap so we can still walk out in the run. We also once it gets really cold we put a heat light with a standard 100 watt bulb. This keeps it warm enough that we have eggs all winter, no matter how cold it gets outside. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    sheesh allen!!!! now THATS A COOP!

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    sorry had a bunch of typos...had to edit it right away![​IMG]

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have one large door that we use to collect eggs and clean the coop, which we keep shut. The chicken door to the hen house I leave open since it is inside the pen. This does keep the hen house very clean since the chickens stay out on their perches late into the evening and in the early morning we just need to clean the pen more often which we just rake up, we keep sand under the perches.

7. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    so i can have a door made soli of chicken wire?

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but doesn't keep predators out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by