Necessary to Candle Eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dawny2u2, Jan 14, 2011.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    I have been selling my eggs locally, and someone didn't want to buy them, because I told them I don't candle them. I pick up my eggs twice a day, I thought candling was needed if you let em sit, and there is a possibility of a chick inside. What's the norm on this? For a dollar a dozen, I don't want to put that much time into it [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I don't candle eating eggs either. I pick them up every day, so it's a non-issue. If they are going to be that picky, tell them you'll candle, for an extra dollar! Or don't sell to them... [​IMG]

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Why? Are they afraid a little peeper might come out when they crack it open? Goodness I wish it were that easy to hatch eggs. [​IMG]

4. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Sounds like the customer had gotten a bit of information and thought that was the overriding criterion to judge the quality of your eggs. All candling does is point out any irregularities from a batch of eggs, or potentially developing chicks inside. If your eggs are gathered daily why should the customer be worried about candling? Does this customer reject eggs with spotted shells? What if some of the eggs are jumbo and the others in the carton merely extra large size?

I believe the irregularity factor is the charm of buying locally grown produce. Pumpkins and squash with lumps and warty skin, tomatoes and potatoes with a little dirt still clinging to the skins or slightly funny shaped... it's the freshness and taste we want when we go to farmer's markets and roadside stands.

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Agreed OhDear.

6. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    All of the above were my thoughts exactly, just appreciate others opinions. I know I have had dreams where I crack an egg open and a little chick is hanging in there.....LOL, but that was a dream....

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I can understand them wanting candled eggs. People have cracked eggs and gotten partially formed chicks. Should that ever happen? No, but it has.

Not everyone wants to crack open an egg and see blood spots or meat spots, either. That happens a lot more often and you can't do anything to prevent that from happening, you can only cull after the fact, if it happens with particular chickens. Blood spots and meat spots are one of the things people have traditionally candled for, in addition to chick development. It's why commercial egg operations candle. Some people could care less about this issue and some people are pretty phobic about it.

For a dollar a dozen, though??? Heck, they should be gathering their own and using their own cartons, for that price. You could offer candling as a service with an added fee or just let them get their eggs elsewhere.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they want candled eggs, point them in the direction of your local supermarket.

Candle eggs? Oh my goodness! I know for a fact that it would never even occur to folks around here to ask for such a thing. Nor do they think twice about the fact that I have two roosters fertilizing all those eggs.

Sometimes I'm very thankful to be living in the country, where folks tend to be more attuned to the facts of life.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    For a dollar a dozen, find another customer. In reality, fresh eggs are generally candled to identify any that have blood or meat spots. Some buyers are a little squeamish about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by