Necessary to worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thomps Hens, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Thomps Hens

Thomps Hens Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Being newer to Chickens I am wondering if it is necessary to worm. Currently we have 10, non free range and I provide ACV in their water. If it is necessary, at what age and any suggestions for doing so?

2. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I did worm mine before they started laying because once they start laying, you can't eat the eggs for two weeks. I don't know if there is other worming solutions or what. It wouldn't hurt if you didn't, but it would keep them safer in the long run.

3. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    How often do you need to worm? Do you have preference of products?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    More often than not, all chickens in a flock have worms that they pick up from their environment. In low numbers, you don't even notice that the chickens have worms. If an infestation of worms gets high enough, though, the chicken become thin and weak because the worms steal much of its nutrition. Therefore, though I am by no means an avid wormer, I worm my chickens once or twice a year just to be safe.

So far, the wormer that I've used has been one known as the Worminator. It works on all worms except tapeworms. You can order it online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584 Dosage is two drops for large-fowl, one drop for bantams. Some benefits of the Worminator is that it works within a few hours, and the egg withdrawal period is only 24-48 hours. You might want to alternate wormers that you use so that worms don't become resistant to them, but so far, I haven't had a problem.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  5. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Thank you very much, that has been very helpful. How often do you worm?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I only started worming this year, but I plan to worm twice a year--once in the Spring/early Summer, and then again in the Fall/early Winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by