1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neck feathers in Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ladyfry, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Ladyfry

Ladyfry Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Just a quick question. I just started out with chicks this year. As a matter of fact, I got my first hens in the fall last year.
    My question is this.......can you sex a RIR by looking at the neck feathers? I ordered 25, and 18 survived, so I don't know how feasable picures are,[​IMG], but when I look at the chicks I notice that some of them have very pointy neck feathers that kind of curl up.
    They are very pretty, BTW. Shiny. I am pretty sure that I have all pullets, because that is what I ordered, and no bright red combs.
    Thank you!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Very pointy neck feathers, in a RI Red or any other breed, would indicate that the birds were cockerels. You say some of the birds show this trait so I assume others do not. Sounds like you have some cockerels & some pullets.

3. Ladyfry

Ladyfry Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    [​IMG] I sure hope you are right. I look at them and do not see them developing like some pictures of cockerels I have seen at this age. They will be nine weeks old tomorrow. What about the curly part? That is the thing that seemed neat to me. Is that just maybe a trait of the bird? Kind of like some people have curly hair and some have straight. So glad to hear from you by the way, I was afraid my question would get lost in the stack! Thanks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by