Neck feathers missing!

baileychic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Delavan, WI
My two female pekins necks are worn raw and feathers are missing. Is this from the male pulling them out?? I haven't seen any exsessive neck biting, but I don't sit and watch them all day. What can I apply on the wound to heal? Neosporin maybe? Or what will keep ghe other other ducks from nibbling?

The first question is how many boys do you have around. Raw necks are a sign of overbreeding, and it does stress the girls out. You should have 3-9 girls per drake, if you have more then one drake. For now I would separate the boys from the girls so they can heal and recover.

Yes, that would be it.. I have 11 ducks, 5 females 6 males and could be a problem. They are 7 months old and they have all gotten along fine with no problems until now. I might have to rehome some males.. Can I put anything on the raw area?

Yes, you can use neosporin. Just separate them for now so the girls can get a rest and heal up. I would find homes for 5 of the males. I have 1 male with 8 girls and they are all looking really good.

Quote:
I wrote, "please don't put the female by herself." Singular. I've often read people isolating the one that needs care when there is a bullying or over-mating injury.

I saw the singular female, so I thought you've missed the actual numbers of each sex. Gosh I have misread stuff in my life too.
hmm.png

You are right never to put one bird into isolation. I had a young male with a wing injury after falling out of the kiddie pool. Don't ask how he managed that one. I had to wrap him up for several days and always put one of the others with him. He was quite happy and played big daddy showing the grounds to each one that was with him. Quite cute and he was a sweety. He healted up nicely and has become a breeder duck with another flock and another breeder.

Back
Top Bottom