Neck feathers ripped out by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoCalGoldenGirl, Jun 3, 2012.

1. SoCalGoldenGirl

SoCalGoldenGirl Hatching

May 3, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    We've had our 3, 5 month old hens for a month, and they stay in a fenced off side of the yard while our dog has the main area. I just got home from church and there was a path of feathers in the yard. The dog was running around just fine, but my Barred Rock was cowering in the corner of the yard totally in shock with feathers ripped out from her neck and part of her back (the other two were still behind the fence). I'm actually shocked that my dog didn't do more as I don't see any other punctures or wounds, although I'll be sure to investigate more thoroughly.

My question is how do I treat the skin that's now exposed. I used a band-aid brand wound disinfectant, and I have neosporin but will wait until the disinfectant dries to put that on. Is there anything else I should do? I separated her from my other two, but how long should I keep her separated? I also added a little ACV to her water and gave her some food. She started eating as soon as I put it in front of her, and she's walking on her own, but there's a big area of ripped out feathers. I just don't want to miss anything with her treatment plan as this is our first experience with chickens, and certainly with any injury to them.

2. If there isn't any open wounds. I wouldn't worry to much. I would put her back in with the others, if she is eating and drinking. It will take a lot of time for the feathers to come back. It might be more stressful being separated from the others.

3. SoCalGoldenGirl

SoCalGoldenGirl Hatching

May 3, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Good to know. There was a little blood, I'm assuming from the pulling out of the feathers as I don't see any cuts or wounds, but I'll do a thorough inspection to make sure, let her settle a little and then put her back with the others. I'm counting myself very lucky as I'm not sure how long ago it happened.

4. Your welcome. I would also make sure, after you put her back, she is getting enough to eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: