Neck Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ebal, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Ebal

Ebal Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Georgia
    I have 8 hens, a mix of 4 breeds. Also 4 Guinneas . All allowed to free range all day.

Have a single Rhode Island red hen. She is loosing feathers on her neck, just below her head. Seeing pricks but no "foliage". Large patchs of missing feathers just under front and back of neck.

None of the others having any problem.

Ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be getting feather picked by one of the others, unless she is starting to molt. Make sure they are getting at least 16%protein--cut out snacks that would lower this. Make sure they have plenty of room in their coop, and provide something for them to do to decrease boredom. Watch them for awhile and you make catch the picker.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Do you have any roosters? First thought is a over active roo pulling out her feathers during mating. Second how old is she? Could she be going through a molt or partial molt? You can increase protein during molt to help them grow new feathers more easily. Another thing it could be is mites. Some mites live on the bird other mites live in the hen house only to feed at night. I would check for these as well. Another thing could be the flock is picking out her feathers out of boredom. If this is the case you can give them some entertainment by hanging a cabbage and let them peck the cabbage instead of her. I would check these things out. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

4. Ebal

Ebal Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Georgia
    Well they free range all day; in the coop at night.

Have free access to layer pellets all day;

Only feed a scoop of scratch feed daily.

5. Ebal

Ebal Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Georgia
    Do have a Guinea rooster....

All chickens are hens.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have had chickens who will sit on the roost and pick their friend's feathers while the friend sits their and lets them. Sometimes they like to groom each other, LOL. Spending some time watching, you might find the reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by