1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

neck inflammation, lethargy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have a hen who has been laying about a month now. She's been laying great, and has acted very normal. Yesterday, I thought I noticed some lethargy. Today, she's spent much of the day alone. She's eaten little, but I have seen her drinking. Quite often I've watched her just nesting in a pile of leaves. But the strange thing we noticed was her neck feathers puffed out, almost as if there is inflammation in the neck. Once, for about 2 minutes, we noticed her shaking her head a bunch. She stopped that and hasn't done that again, but thought I'd mention it.

She's a golden comet, less than 1 year old. There is no sneezing or fluid in the eyes or nostrils. Any idea what this might be?

2. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i really wish i could help but i have no clue. does she have any alergies?

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Don't think so...

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Fluffed feathers may indicate illness. When was she wormed last? Is she laying? Could she be egg bound?

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:She seems to be laying normally, at least until a day ago. Kind of lost track of laying yesterday, and not sure who laid what. I'm going to check her crop this morning to make sure it's gone down overnight. If it's full, it could be impacted.

As for worming...she's never been wormed. None of my flock has.

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, caught her this morning. Crop does NOT seem to be impacted, it's soft and mostly empty it seems. We also noticed green runny poop yesterday and in the coop, I'm guessing from underneath where she slept. She came out of the coop this morning, took a few sips of water and then sat in a corner. Brought her inside and placed her in one of our brooders with some food. Not interested. Not sure where to go from here...

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Any other ideas? Still not showing any signs of CRD...no nasal discharge, sneezing, or eye funk. Just lethargy, bright green poop, and lack of eating.

8. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    ear mites? gape worm maybe? I think they shake with mites and worms. Good luck!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by